LB1 Evaluation

Lb1 Evaluation Profile

1. Essays: 70% of final course grade: write 12 total, drop lowest two marks.
a. Essays must be submitted by 12 PM (start of lecture) on Mondays on the scheduled due date. Late essays lose 5% penalty per weekday (except in case of excused absence – which may require documentation).
b. Essays not given to your tutorial members at least 24 hours in advance of the tutorial will also lose 5% penalty.
c. Essays that are not presented in tutorial will lose 10% penalty for each such essay. How to get your essays to your tutorial members will be discussed in seminar.
d. Over the year you’ll write 12 essays (two of which may be in-class essays – I’ll let you know if this is the case). The lowest two marks will be dropped if (and only if) you have submitted all 12 essays. If you do not submit all 12 a mark of 0 will be factored for the missing paper(s), and you will not be able to drop that 0. In other words, if you fail to submit a paper, one of the ten marks used to calculate your final grade will be a 0.(Rewrite of one essay: At the end of the academic year you will rewrite one of the 12 essays you submitted earlier in the year, taking into account comments by the instructor and your peers. The mark on the revised essay will replace the earlier mark you got for that essay. In addition, this revised essay will be expanded (around 500 more words) and you will need to discuss and respond to secondary sources in your analysis of the work that is the focus of the essay.)

e. Essays for Arts One are based on close and careful readings of the texts. You do not need to do additional research beyond the texts studied in class. However, if you use any secondary material whatsoever (including the editor’s introduction to the edition of the text we read, or a website) you must cite your sources fully. Failure to do so is academic dishonesty (plagiarism) and is a serious offence. If I catch you in plagiarism, I will pursue you being punished to the fullest extent allowed by university policy. If you are ever unsure about the academic honesty of your work, see me first and immediately. For information on what constitutes academic dishonesty and how to avoid it visit: http://learningcommons.ubc.ca/resource-guides/avoiding-plagiarism/
f. Portfolio: You will need to put together an informal portfolio of your writing by the end of the year. This will consist of some informal, reflective comments on what you feel you have improved in your writing over the year, and some representative samples of your essays to show how you’ve improved. This means you’ll need to keep your essays throughout the year!

2. Participation: 10% of final course grade. Because a large component of Arts One is seminar- and tutorial-based, participation is extremely important. All of the following will factor in to your participation grade for the course:
a. Attendance. You will sign in to seminar and tutorial. Each unexcused seminar absence will result in a penalty of .5%. Missing a tutorial meeting is quite problematic, as there are only four students per tutorial group, and the two students presenting will be relying on your comments and questions. Because of this fact, unexcused tutorial absences will result in a penalty of 1%. (As noted above, if you miss a tutorial meeting where you are presenting your paper, you will lose 10% on your paper mark for not having presented it in tutorial. You also lose 1% from your attendance mark.)
b. Quality of participation. Just attending is not enough, however. You must come to seminar meetings prepared: this means having read the text (indeed, you must have the text read before the Monday lecture on it) and also means having the right text with you at seminar, so we can all stay ‘on the same page.’ I will sometimes ask you (in advance) to present briefly in seminar on a certain topic. And, sometimes, you will work in pairs or small groups during seminar. I will expect you to do all of these things enthusiastically. If I think you aren’t doing so, I’ll tell you personally. If your participation does not improve after our chat, I then reserve the right to deduct up to 3% from your total participation mark.
c. Blogging. Everyone will need to set up a blog on the UBC blog system – don’t worry, it’s pretty easy, and I’ll post some videos that walk you through it step by step. Then what you blog about will be collected in a ‘blog hub’ on our course site, here: http://blogs.ubc.ca/a1lieblang/
• You can password protect your blog posts (I’ll show you how) from the general public. This will reduce access to only members of Arts One (no one else will have access).
• You’ll be required to blog every other week, on the weeks you’re not writing an essay. Your blog posts are informal writing assignments – not graded except just to see that you did them, though there will be a penalty for them being late or too short or not thoughtful! Think of this as your chance to think out loud about things that you find puzzling, or that you agree/disagree with, or that you’d like to talk about further in seminar or tutorial. Your blogs can be very useful as the birthplace for your essay ideas.

3. Final Exam: 20% of final course grade.
a. The final exam will be held during the exam period (April 8 – 22, 2016). I’ll let you know our date as soon as it’s released, which happens in February.
b. The final exam will consist mostly of essays, but there may also be some quotes you’ll need to identify and discuss. (I’ll give you more details as they become clear and/or necessary.)