Meeting Minutes, 21 June 2017

ALA Meeting

ALA – June 21 Meeting
Date: Wednesday, June 21st, 2017
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Place: SLAIS Trail Room
Members Present: Erin Flynn, Lucas Hill, Rachel McRory, Claire Williams, Lara Maestro, Lisa Zhu
Last Meeting: Wednesday, May. 24, 2017 Minutes Approved: Yes

Meeting Agenda:
Fall Semester Leadership:
Claire is taking a co-op from September to December – Lara can act as co-president from September to December.
Lara is leaving after January for field research in the Philippines, but Claire will be back to take it from there.

Bookbinding:
Early August – right after classes end – ~ 12,13,14
Bookbinding as part of craft day.
Hand bound books in the Trail Room.
Claire – can make list of easy things from around the house for bookbinding.
Guide to UBC Libraries by ALA Chapter to leave in the Common Room.

Bike Ride: Tentatively July. 23 ~ 10:00 a.m.
Bike Rental Possibilities:
Bike Kitchen – $15.00/day – Purple Bike Racks
Mobi – Shaw Go – $10.00/day
Meet: in front of IKBLC

Advertisement: Facebook – Lara will make poster to advertise
Put in SLAIS common room.
Claire will make Map of Destinations

Next Event: Paint Nite – June 27th

Festivals and Interests: Museum of Vancouver Free Night – June 29th Khatsahlano – July 8th
Folk Fest – July 13th – 16th – no ticket necessary really. (Can listen from the beach.)
Baseball Day: at Queen Elizabeth Park Saturday, July 29th at 7:00 p.m. with Fireworks
Lara will buy tickets for us for it now.
Tie in books?

ALA Conference: Lara is going to Chicago next week for the conference and will hopefully get
lots of informational material and ARCs for everyone to look at and enjoy!

Meeting Adjourned: 5:40 p.m.
Next meeting: July 18th at 5:00 p.m. in the Trail Room

Meeting Minutes, 24 May 2017

ALA Meeting

ALA – May 24 2017 Meeting Notes

Date: Wednesday, May. 24, 2017

Time: 5:00 p.m.

Place: SLAIS Trail Room

Members Present: Erin Flynn, Lucas Hill, Rachel McRory, Claire Williams, Lara Maestro

Last Meeting: Monday, March. 27th – Minutes Approved

Minutes Approved: Yes

Meeting Agenda:
1. Summer Activities

Swag for the incoming cohort – buttons and bookmarks and the like.

Maybe talk about and create closer to the ender of summer.

Summer Goals: every meeting pick one activity to do, then two weeks later, do it!

Ideas Discussed:

Granville Island Day – Something creative and fun!

Bookmark or Button Making Party.

Silk Screening?

Blim – open studio button making for 5 dollars an hour.

Button Ideas:

“You have to make the button interesting, you can’t just write ALA.”
SLAY-L-A
SLEIGH-L-A

Eh!-L-A!

Sizes for buttons at Blim:

⅞” :50.00 for a hundred.

New cohort is usually 50 to 60 students.

2” – 3”  – one dollar each.

Collage Collage on Main Street – Can get a studio room! For a creative space to make bookmarks and buttons.

Menu:

Mixed Media Collage – $12

Wooden Toy – $18

Pom Pom Animal Making – $18

Wooden Peg Family – $18

Nesting Doll – $50

Paint Wooden Canvas – $18

Sewing – $18

Sunrise on Hastings – Another Creative Studio – Craft Related and Workshop.

July – Collage Collage – Make Buttons and Bookmark Materials

August – Make the buttons at Blim.

You Paint, I Fire – on 4th – Another possible activity location.

Wine-Paint Night

Bard-on-the-Beach – ~27 – Behind the scenes tour, etc.

Friday, June 9th – For making things.

We will all look for a thing to do for a weekend in June, Friday or Saturday night, and share on Messenger.

Our budget is still around $500.00

Meeting Adjourned: 5:40 p.m.

Next meeting: June 21st at 5:00 p.m.

Meeting Minutes, 27 March 2017

ALA – March. 27 Meeting Notes

ALA Meeting

Date: Monday, March 27th , Last Meeting
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Place: Trail Room
Members Present: Lucas Hill, Erin Flynn, Claire Williams, Lara Maestro

Minutes from last meeting approved.

Debrief Aquarium – Success! Photo on twitter. Secretary sent thank you card to Ann Dreolini including a $10 Starbucks gift card. Perhaps we will begin a protocol to always send a small giftcard to people who host tours for your.

Summer Plans – Still hoping for the Wine Library on Campus.

Perhaps that bicycle ride to libraries.

September Cohort – finalize over summer. We need to send a representative to the orientation for the September cohort.

Big Dreams for Next Year – ACA mixer – more social events that include more people. Perhaps still the exchange with Washington. Pun Shirts. Perhaps make t-shirts. Field trip to Chinatown to make t-shirts. Print screening. Can use a workshop, and can complete orientation. Orientation $45 with experience or $75 without experience. We have around $500 available from our treasury.

Make on Granville – makes for you.

Pub Quiz Trivia – team or host? Host an event next year that includes trivia.

Ceramic Party- mugs are useful.

T-Shirt Party – how much would we use the t-shirt?

Could make buttons.

This will be the topic for the first meeting.

Make Bookmarks?

Dewey Decimators

Stop-chat and Scholarships – Conference Scholarships are still available.

Meeting Adjourned: 12:39 p.m.

 

Next Meeting: Monday, May 22nd. Potentially at noon.

Meeting Minutes, 13 March 2017

ALA – March. 13 Meeting Notes

ALA Meeting
Date: Monday, March 13th
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Place: Trail Room
Members Present: Lucas Hill, Erin Flynn, Claire Williams, Lara Maestro

Minutes from last meeting approved.

Blog Update: Erin will do.

Lara as co-president with Claire Williams.

Student to Staff Program at June 25th ALA Conference: not applied for this year. For next year: an essay submitted to Aaron Lorehlein, 50 dollars a day among other perks, with 16 hours of work. Requirements are up to us as a student group, so we could change expectations.

Library Tours: about an hour and ten minutes from UBC, tour starts at 10, will last for less than an hour.

9:55 a.m. meet around the side.

We’ll let the January Cohort know on Tuesday.

1 other student has expressed interest.

Bus 19 get off at last stop.

ACA: Perhaps LASSA has plans for an end of the semester shindig, so we can plan for next.

San Jose State University is having a webinar.  2.017

Wednesday March 29th 12-1 opening key note on explore Competencies for 21st Century Professionals

ALA Elections online: the candidate profiles are online now. Vote online. – Can pay for membership.

Meeting Adjourned: 12:25 p.m.

Next Meeting: Monday, March 27th at noon.

Meeting Minutes, 27 February 2017

ALA Meeting Minutes

ALA – Feb. 27, 2017 Meeting Notes

Date: Monday, February 27th
Time: 11:55 – 12:20 p.m.
Place: Trail Room
Members Present: Lucas Hill, Manfred Nissley, Claire Williams, Lara Maestro

Minutes from last meeting approved.

Library Tours: Special Aquarium Library is only available Thursday mornings, potentially March 9th or 16th. Early is better, be back for classes at 2. We have aimed for March 16th at 9:00 in the morning.

Wine Library – Completing Inventory – Perhaps a tour in a couple of months. Maybe aim for during summer hours.

UBC Library Tours – Biking around, wrap up with movie night. Aim more for the summer.

ACA Mixer: ACA Meeting on Thursday March 2nd, Claire will attend and talk to the ACA about possible ideas. Potentially at the end

Streaming of Information Webinars – Potentially as Events

 

Meeting Adjourned: 12:20 p.m.

Next Meeting: Monday, March 13th, at noon.

 

Meeting Minutes, 6 February 2017

ALA Meeting Minutes

ALA-Feb.6, 2017 MeetingNotes.docx

Date: Monday, February 6th, 2017
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Place: Trail Room
Members Present: Lucas Hill, Erin Flynn, Claire Williams, Shannon Cheng, Lara Maestro
Minutes: Lucas Hill

Agenda

  • University of Washington Exchange
  • ALA Mixer
  • BCLA
  • Library Tours
  • Web Master

University of Washington

The University of Washington is still interested in an exchange, but are currently in the process of electing a new executive committee.  We will pursue this avenue afterwards, and Claire will remain in touch. We also must consider the ramifications of the new American politic establishment, and whether it will affect certain student’s ability to enter the U.S.

ALA Mixer

The ACA has been very busy with the Managing the Analogue Symposium at the moment, but afterwards Claire will go to an ACA meeting to discuss possibilities of a mixer.

BCLA

The BCLA has an event planned for Freedom to Read Week. They will be having a talk on queer censorship on February 17th. This should suffice for Freedom to Read Week activities.

Library Tours

We would still like to conduct library tours at a variety of libraries within the city throughout the year. While we had originally anticipated reading week, parties were unable to establish a line of communication. Claire Williams will contact the Vancouver Aquarium Librarian about a possible tour during the month of March. We should encourage students to think of questions to ask, potentially about funding, collections’ management, etc.

We also discussed the Wine Library here at UBC managed by the food, nutrition and health department, or possibly the Wine Library in the Okanagan. There are many special interest libraries to consider. Claire Williams will establish contact.

Other possibilities include a Library Hop around UBC, using bikes between libraries on campus. A potential summer activitiy, it could include riding from various libraris on campus, like the Crane Library, which hosts Braille, the Brock Hall, which has Recording Centers and the Music Library, or the Film Library on campus.

New Webmaster

Erin Flynn has been elected as new webmaster! Yay!

Meeting Adjourned: 12:37 p.m.

Next Meeting: Monday, February 27th at noon for a half hour.

Meeting Minutes, February 6, 2017

ALA Meeting Minutes

January 23, 2017 Minutes

Date: Monday, January 23, 2017
Time: 12:00 pm
Place: Trail Room, SLAIS
Attendance: Claire, Lara, Shannon, Lucas, Erin

Introductions

ALA Introductions:

  • Organize events, such as tours, panels, etc.
  • Scholarships

Event Ideas:

  • In the past:
    • Colouring stress buster and snacks during finals
    • Freedom to Read and BCLA
      • Panel on censorship and what it means for libraries providing access
    • Mixer with archival and library students
      • ALA and ACA mixer
    • ASL American Sign Language and serving differently abled patrons
    • LIS webinars
    • ALA Exchange with University of Washington

Upcoming:

  • Mixer
    • Claire to get in touch with ACA
  • Student Exchange
    • Reading Break?
    • Contact University of Washing to schedule
  • Tours
    • Aquarium/ Vanaqua
    • Think of special libraries

Meetings: Mondays for now.

  • Lucas to send message to Core.

Positions open:

  • Co-Chair: Erin and Lara are interested
  • Secretary: Lucas
  • Webmaster: Erin is interested. Matthew Murray created absolutely amazing webmaster documents!

Meeting Adjourned.
Time: 12:40 pm.

Stick around for the screening of ALA Youth Media Awards 2017!

Meeting Minutes, March 8, 2016

ALA Meeting

March 8th, 2016 Minutes

12:00 pm –

In attendance: J’Amy McCracken, Elizabeth Moyer, Claire Williams
Claire led the meeting.

Agenda – Skip April meeting. Reconvene in May when school is back in session. Our normal meeting in April would have been after the semester ends and having a meeting during finals week is not practical either.

Called and passed motion to reimburse Jennette and Kaya for expenses for snacks for Freedom to read panel. Elizabeth agreed, J’Amy seconded the motion

ALA Informational Event – discuss possibility of such an event in the near perhaps in the near future or even September when the new cohorts come in. The goal is to raise the awareness of the department on who ALA is and what ALA does.

Progressive Librarians Guild – they would like our help on a round tables . Claire will reach out them. Showcase projects that students have been working on regarding Queer and Trans-spaces/libraries in libraries.