Abandon Ship

DOES NOT APPROVE

The AUS Phailboat is going dowwnnnn.

Yesterday, my beloved Arts Undergraduate Society selected an interm President. They picked someone who already lost in the previous election, and was essentially a sore loser. FML.

After I straggled in, got a slice of delicious pizza, and started to listen, turns out there were four nominees for the vacant President seat. Who were these four fine candidates? The lovely Cheryl Kornder, former SUB Queen Crystal Hon, Mr. “FUCK THE AUS/LET’S MAKE IT AWESOMER” Brian Platt, and eventual winner, Ryan “I’m so happy and easy to work with vote for me even though my speech was complete hogshit garbage” Trasolini.

After the first round of voting, Cheryl and Crystal were eliminated. Hmm… both start with the letter C. Both eliminated. Conspiracy? I think so. Conspiracy even starts with the same letter (WHOA MIND BLOWN). Better take this up with student court so they can analyze something completely different about the council meeting. Eliminating these two was the first mistake council made.

Second round, everyone voted again. Turned out to be 12-9 or 11-9 or something like that for Ryan. Or Brian. “WHAT? With a B or an R?” With an R. Ryan. Ryan won. Hokay. Agreed. D’accord.

all eyes on you. all two of 'em.

@ginohhh’s tweet pretty much sums up how I feel about the situation: “Congratulations to the AUS for achieving new heights of incompetence. I’m out.”

Seriously. Council… WTF? You went though a month or two of elections / agony / student court / useless banter / resignations /complaining … and you end up appointing the same cry baby which put you into this whole mess? Smart. Real fucking smart. Maybe I shouldn’t even bemoan council, seeing as though it was all proxies there. Yeah, let’s let Mike Silley vote, even though he was kinda/sorta involved in the elections clusterfuck. Great fucking idea. No Offense, Mike.

I don’t know what to rant about. That council appointed Ryan, or you didn’t pick other, much more qualified candidates that weren’t involved in the clusterfuck of an election. You should have appointed someone impartial. Someone removed from the previous debacle. Someone that could have gotten the AUS back on track. Someone who could have led the recovery, and bring the AUS back to what it used to be (some of us still remember the ACF days).

Dammit council, you failed. I guess whining enough does pay off.

35 thoughts on “Abandon Ship

1. JR

Seriously? let’s all watch the AUS PHAIL now. The words “incompetent slacker” come to mind

2. Isabel

i cannot express how much i agree. i was there and had a misserable duty of telling brian he lost it was painful

3. Justin

I’m not the type of person to get involved or say anything in this short of thing, but I find both this article, and responses to it plain ridiculous. Honestly.

Being a fourth year psychology student that has followed the AUS from the outside for several years, I found this whole election ordeal strange. Just to see what the AUS spend my money on was crazy, I kid you not. A trusted friend told me that the elections almost cost $30,000 of my student fee’s, which primarily was spent of throwing drunken parties. I can’t even to begin to tell you what a waste of my student fee’s this is. SUCH FRAUD. No actually it’s robbery. The AUS must be retarded to spend money this way. Maybe they own a money tree? Oh wait, they have student fee’s, same thing. After I heard about this, I started to pay a closer eye to the AUS elections, because clearly someone was out to throw my money away. Literally

The AUS elections were a tie, broken by Matthew Naylor who from what I’ve heard burnt (yes burnt, I kid you not) the results from the AUS election to favor Brian Platt when counting them. Corrupt? Obviously not.

Then the AUS decided to appoint a president. Ryan won fair and square and Brian and his friends seem to be really, really sore losers. All this stuff makes the AUS look weak, and I wish Ryan the best to fix this clusterfuck.

Spend my money right. Or don’t spend it at all. Seriously.

4. Gossip Guy

I believe it was closer to $40000? Yes? No?

I’d have to also agree that it was an extraordinary amount of money to spend, and I would have liked to see a lot higher voter numbers for spending that kind of cash… but I had a fantastic time that week, with all the debauchery and museum and Chan Centre drinking, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

I’m honestly too lazy to re-read anything relating to the burned results, but I’ve heard the story too. Maybe Naylor didn’t burn them well enough to do a complete cover up? Now that would be a true #phail. I don’t know… I just can’t think right now. Derek just got shot on Grey’s Anatomy, and I’m pretty emotional about it.

Brian and Ryan should have just rock-paper-scissored for the Presidency.

5. Brian Platt

Mr. “FUCK THE AUS/LET’S MAKE IT AWESOMER” Brian Platt

I’m going to officially change my name to that. Love it.

6. Isabel

dear gossip guy,

the numbers for president were completely burnt. no trace.

that is all.

<3 Adminzies

7. awesomeness

brian, i heard roaring laughter in my head when you kept saying “ass off” in ur video.

and did u ever notice the three frat boys in the back (sitting in front of ryan, who was sitting at the very back) had walked in and said they were proxying for clubs, when the clubs did not specifically ask them to proxy on their behalf. most of the clubs are just as incompetent, allowing randoms to take their seat during such an important meeting. what were THEY thinking? ask vpf to cut their funding for stupidity and lack of responsibility. say, let’s cut the aus out altogether.

with regards to the retarded $40,000 towards parties, blame council. when it’s wrong, take a step and VOTE NO, NOT ABSTAIN. if you abstain more than once, you shouldn’t be on council cause you’re there to push through good ideas, push out bad ones. spending $40,000 on shit like that, including a $10/hr fee for the elections administrator (who made up this request on his own), is stupid.

8. taylorloren

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EVERYONE, STOP THROWING THAT 40K NUMBER AROUND!!!!!!!! IT WAS WAY LOWER! (but, what was it?)

9. Snugglicious

the worst part about this is like..
    i heard he just really wants to be AMS President and that this is his stepping stone.

awh fuckkkkkk no.

10. Isabel

I got confused. I came here to read the new comments and saw that i had posted 2 new ones and then I realized it was the other ISABEL. Ps. i envy you

11. JR

I love how council didn’t bat an eye at the $5000 he sunk in to it.
    “I guess whining enough does pay off”

12. Mike Silley

Gossip Guy. I don’t know why I am being dragged into this. I was asked to proxy, and I did. If only I could have voted for myself :_(

Regards,
    Mikeyy

13. Gossip Guy

@taytay – Bijan spent $5000 on his new office. I don’t know what $75 you’re talking about.

@mikeymike – why didn’t you nominate yourself? You totally should have. You’re being dragged into this because I like to name drop and add people into situations 😛

14. LittleSpoon

HEY ALL. LET’S NOT GET THE AMS COUNCIL IN THIS SHITSTORM. THEY’VE DONE ACTUAL TANGIBLE RESULTS RESULTING IN THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SAVED, THE NEW SUB BACK ON TRACK AND A FINANCIALLY VIABLE AND FUNCTIONING COUNCIL. $5000 PROBABLY WASN’T THE GREATEST PR STEP BUT THE MONEY WAS SPENT FROM A DESIGNATED FUND AND WOULD HAVE BEEN SPENT IN FOUR YEARS TO FURNISH HIS OFFICE ANYWAY. EITHER WAY, THE PAINT COLOR IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS SO I GUESS YOU CAN BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

AS FOR THE AUS, THERE ARE SO MANY AWESOME PEOPLE IN IT THAT IT’S LIKE THAT GUY IN HIGH SCHOOL WHO SMOKED POT BUT SOMEHOW READ DANTE AND WOULD HAVE BEEN FAMOUS HAD HE ACTUALLY APPLIED HIMSELF: IT HAS POTENTIAL. LET’S NOT GET LET ONE BAD APPLE TO RUIN IT ALL.

AS FOR RYAN WITH AN R, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. THE AUS REQUIRES LEADERSHIP ABOVE ALL ELSE, AND FROM THE WAY YOU’VE ACTED SO FAR, THAT’S NOT REALLY YOUR STRONG POINT. SUCK IT UP AND LEAD. MAKE SURE YOU INSPIRE YOUR TEAM, GET THE CLUBS TO ACTUALLY BE ENGAGED AND IF YOU DON’T KNOW HOW ASK THE EUS, CUS OR SUS TO SHOW YOU HOW IT’S DONE. STOP WHINING AND COMPLAINING BECAUSE THE TITLE AIN’T NOTHING ON YOUR RESUME IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY RESULTS TO SHOW FOR IT.

AS FOR THE REST OF THE AUS, GO TALK TO SOME GOOD OLD AUS PREZ’S (SEE STEPH RYAN) AND HOLD YOUR PRESIDENT ACCOUNTABLE.

AND AS FOR NAYLOR, I LOVE YOU BUT IT’S TIME TO GRADUATE.

15. JR

Yes, cutting services to save money while spending frivolously elsewhere was pure genius. As for the AUS, like a 5-year-old piloting a 747, it’s fucked.

16. LT

I cast my vote for Brian Platt in the first AUS election back in March. Ryan Trasolini seemed an unlikely candidate for president at that time and his petty, irredeemably childish antics in the weeks and months that followed served to flesh out my initial doubts about his ability to unite and lead student council. This recent gaff by council has left me disappointed and disillusioned with student politics full stop.
    So much so that I’m beginning to consider that we as undergrads oughta’ have the grown ups in administration looking out for our interests.

17. Erik

While this back and forth amongst the handful of people that pay attention is both articulate and amusing, let’s not forget the fact that the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of Arts’ 11,000 students couldn’t give a flying fuck who the President is. As I’m sure you all can recall, we’re talking about an election where the “President” won with 2% of the vote. 90+% of people didn’t even bother casting a ballot.

Honestly I’d be surprised if >100 Arts students could name their current President, and >300 of the people that bothered voting could even remember who they voted for in the election.

Come September, no one except us hacks is going to give a shit whether or not Ryan Trasolini is the second coming of JFK or as useless a leader as Kim Jong-Il. The only solace we can take is the hope that he does something either so outrightly amazing or so absolutely retarded that we have something to talk about.

18. Brian Platt

Haha…that post by Erik might be the most entertaining comment I’ve ever read. And mostly accurate.

EXCEPT: whatever the larger indifference to the AUS among Arts students, the AUS still has a budget that tops 300,000K–and all of it comes from students. It makes a big difference who is in charge of guiding how that money is used. In the past, I think much of it has been wasted tragically.

It doesn’t matter how many Arts students know/care about who the President is, it’s still pretty dang important to get a competent leader in there.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Cynicism has its uses, but you’re going overboard.

19. Timmy Wong

With this shitstorm brewing over the AUS, we might as well have Kim Jong Il as the president.

Build a couple nukes with AUS $$, and it’ll probably be a better expenditure than some $30,000 party. Plus, science kids will finally bow down in fear to the purple.

20. mopomych

i’m on council to make sure that nothing stupid happens this summer; i feel i hold this responsibility, and is taking it very seriously.

21. Kathleen

All this discussion of Kim Jong-Il as leader is slightly misleading, as he is not actually the leader of a country. The privilege of leading the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea belongs to the Eternal Leader, Kim Il-Sung, who is quite useless as a leader these days, as he is quite dead.

We haven’t sunk that far.

22. aw fucknuts

I remember back during AUS elections, Ryan came to my poli sci class and gave a little speech about wanting to be elected, and how he lost the last election by like 2 votes. when voting was actually going on, he was talking to people in the hallways to get them in to vote. at the time i had already made up my mind that i’d vote for Brian (with a B!) due to the fact that i could read the stuff he’d written in articles (related and unrelated to the election) and NOT want to punch him in the face (not directed at ryan, but still it’s a feat that not a lot of students can pull off), but i felt a little sorry for ryan because he really, really, really, REALLY wanted the job.

nevertheless, i voted BPlatt. now i am very glad that i did so, given Trasolini’s whining attitude and the (surprisingly) not ungracious reaction from BP.

I’m no Hack so i have no idea when it comes to elections protocol what the deal is, but just for checking–the appointment of interim el presidente Whinin’ Trasoleavemealoney is just for teh summerz, right? meaning we’ll get to have a byelection/new election in the fall?

i am prepared to even force my friends to vote (and by ‘force’ i mean ‘offer them cookies’) if this is the case since the aus sucks right now (no offense guys…but yeah) and i feel an obligation to do my part to make it suck ever so slightly less.

23. awfucknuts

PS What (if anything) is going on for Arts Frosh this upcoming year? Or was it called FrAUSh? I can’t remember in any case because the only things i remember hearing about were for people who were LEGAL (counter productive?). I do have to say that it kind of sucked that the other faculties (sci, eng, commies) had their own frosh whereas we Artsies, despite being the biggest f-ing faculty on campus (or perhaps BECAUSE we’re the biggest?) had nothing at all. I went with the whole AMS firstweek thingy (blue sparkly bracelets omg) and thankfully had a res orientation thing too, but it would’ve been nice to have had a specifically arts thing.

given the whole fiasco with the aus presidency, i presume arts frosh is the least of the aus’ concerns atm? if so, lots of arts frosh tears shall be spilled.

24. Brian Platt

There will be a Frosh. The conversations about it were just starting while I was prez, but I know there are plans and they’re moving forward. Carolee, the VP External, has been the one in charge of organizing it, and she’ll do a good job.

And yes, there will be a new election in September. : )