Similar to the previous lecture, this part will deal with other international organizations dealing with forests. The major forest-related international research organizations and international non-governmental organization, as well as other relevant bodies with global mandates will be introduced.
Please view the following voice-over-ppt presentations and videos for this topic.
Module 3 Lecture 9 Part 1: Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), and International Union for Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO)
Module 3 Lecture 9 Part 2: NGOs – International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), World Wild Fund for Nature (WWF), World Resources Institute (WRI), Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF), and Others
Module 3 Lecture 9 Video 1: International Day of Forests 2013
Module 3 Lecture 9 Video 2: The Swedish Forestry Model – Environmental Atlas of Europe
Please visit the following websites:
- Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) website: cifor.org
- The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) website: worldagroforestrycentre.org
- The International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) website: iufro.org
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) website: iucn.org
- WWF website: wwf.org
- World Resources Institute (WRI) website: wri.org
- Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF) website: cpfweb.org/en
- United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) website: un.org/esa/forests/index.html
Please answer the following self-reflection questions. After formulating your answers, you may post them online at the Knowledge Café for this course as a way to share your ideas and glean knowledge from other students’ responses.
- Reflect on some of the non-governmental international organizations dealing with forests.
- Compare the work of CIFOR to that of ICRAF.
- What other forest-related NGO’s do you know about?