This module will introduce:
- The history and developments in major global forest-related issues.
- The understanding on how such issues affect SFM.
- The role of forests in global environmental and development agendas.
- The most relevant and up-to-date global discussions at the United Nations and other related forums.
After completing the module, you should be able to:
- Reflect on the global issues under discussion in terms of their mutual relation to SFM.
- Describe generally accepted definition and major components of Landscapes.
- Discuss how the Landscape Approach relates to forests and SFM.
- Analyze the mutual relationships between forests and climate change, loss of biodiversity, Green economy, and payments for environmental services.
- Investigate how forests and forestry are treated and dealt with in the current draft of SDG’s.
- Express your view on how forests are being managed within a landscape, and the best approaches to finance SFM at national levels.
- Plan national forest policies that reflect international agreements should you need to.