My Professional Journey…So Far

Who am I as a developing professional?

My professional journey began long before I ever wanted to be a teacher. I began working with children as a teenager and learned how to interact with and teach children. I had a small understanding of the skills necessary to become a teacher such as caring for the well-being of students through various volunteer experiences. I studied Sociology and Education in my Bachelor’s degree with the intention of becoming a counselor. When I finished my degree I discovered that I no longer had the desire to pursue counselling. I still had a desire to work with children and I pursued a teacher’s assistant position working with a student with autism. I continued to build my professional knowledge by working closely with and observing the classroom teacher with whom I was working.

I believe a light bulb represents my professional learning journey because the moment that I chose lightbulbto be a teacher was a light bulb moment. My journey up to the moment that I chose to become a teacher was an “aha” moment. I realized one day that everything that I valued and cared about could be fulfilled through the teaching profession. The teaching journey involves constant learning and discoveries; however, many teachers experience bigger “aha” moments. I experienced a number of “aha” moments throughout my practicum that I built up to through the many little learning moments.

What are my educational commitments?

An important part of my classroom is hands-on, minds-on learning that involves supporting students in developing their own interests and pursuing their passions. Technology in the classroom is an important part of 21st century learning as students learn new skills to prepare them for a rapidly changing world. It is important for children to learn to be critical thinkers, global citizens, and cooperative learners. I chose an inquiry project based around technology to help pursue a topic based around technology and the well-being of my students.

I believe that all students are capable of learning and growing. All students have strengths and challenges and it is my job as an educator to work with my students to create a learning environment that will help them to succeed. I believe that student learning should be hands-on, engaging, and relateable. Learning should be engaging and relevant for students. I believe that it is important for students to find meaning in their learning and by finding meaning be responsible and invested in their learning. I believe that students deserve to be respected and valued as individuals, children, learners, and teachers. I believe in fostering good relationships with students, parents, and other educators are the key to a positive learning and teaching environment. I believe that students should be free to explore their passions and interests with guidance and support from their teacher. These beliefs are the driving force behind setting up my classroom climate.

The importance of critical thinking is something that I believe is important because I was encouraged to be a critical thinker as a student. Some of the skills of helping students to be critical thinkers are teaching good questioning techniques. Encouraging students to engage in class discussions and ask deep questions is an important part of engaging in critical thinking. Another important aspect of critical thinking is having students engage in inquiry projects. The importance of learning through inquiry was something I came to value through the teaching program. Engaging in my own inquiry project helped me to understand the vast learning opportunities that can come through asking deep questions.

Fostering good relationships with students, parents, and teachers is the foundation of any good classroom. Relationships are a central part of establishing respect and honesty. I hope to create a caring classroom environment which will differ based on the school community. In the future I will spend some time working in a faith based environment; therefore, my own personal faith will affect my classroom environment. Many of the values that I hold as a teacher are based in my faith and many will translate to any classroom environment. One of my greatest strengths is also my greatest struggle. Some of the values and beliefs that I hold will not be able to be expressed openly in the public school system. I know that one’s beliefs are impossible to completely separate from our teaching practice; however, one of my core beliefs is diversity of opinion. Even if my personal beliefs differ from my students or the school communities I will respect those beliefs.

My faith means that I value the importance of community and relationships. I believe that fostering good relationships and a sense of community is one of my strengths. A struggle based around this strength is that I am introverted. I struggle at times to interact with a large group, particularly when I do not know anyone. When I am at the front of a classroom I feel confident; however, I believe I will struggle to get to know the parents and teachers as quickly. I will continue to work on pushing myself to become a part of the community. What will my role be in my future communities? How diverse will those communities be? How accepted will I be? Will these communities be welcoming and will I be welcoming in return? These are many of the questions that I have about my upcoming teaching opportunities. Although I have many questions, I never want to let my struggles or questions limit from trying new opportunities. This is one reason why I hope to pursue teaching opportunities in the public and private systems as well as rural and international schools.

What have I learned from this year?

This year I learned to think through the eyes of a student. Before my practicum started I was thinking about my unit and lesson plans through the eyes of teaching and a teacher. As I began to teach and get to know my students my thinking shifted and I more and more saw my lessons through the eyes of a student. When I began to plan I had not been with my students for an extended period of time. I had begun to get to know them as students and people but I didn’t really know them that well. I planned all my lessons and units for people that I was trying to visualize. As I taught them on a daily basis and got to know them on a deeper, more personal level I realized the importance of relationships and understanding the diverse needs of students to be able to teach them.

Another important lesson I learned this year was the importance of flexibility. Sometimes things do not go exactly how I have planned or envisioned. I struggled during my practicum to let go of being in control of everything. I had to learn to both literally, leaving my written lesson plan somewhere where I couldn’t constantly check it, and figuratively, being okay with changes to the day, learn to let go. A part of learning to let go was seeing through the eyes of my students and realizing the need to adjust to fit their needs. Every day we should be learning and growing together and I make changes to our day and our lessons based on my student’s needs and interests. There are days when things don’t go well or a lesson flops but I always know that the next day is a fresh start and we can try it again tomorrow.

When I first chose my inquiry topic, I chose it with the intention of researching and discovering more about the benefits and downfalls of Fresh Grade. I quickly discovered that there is much more technology to be involved in formative assessment in the classroom. My main focus continued to be Fresh Grade; however, it was only one piece of the puzzle. My inquiry question was: How can technology enhance formative assessment? I anticipated that technology is becoming an important part of 21st century learning; however, I discovered through personal experiences, scholarly research, and discussions with colleagues just how impactful technology can be. My inquiry journey took me far beyond my initial expectations. It became an important part of my practicum and will continue to impact my teaching practice.

It is not a matter of if we will use technology for assessment but when and how. Formative assessment has proven to help increase student learning and as a result technology has begun to catch up in the classroom. There are many different tools for formative assessment that are now becoming available for school districts and they need to be taken advantage of. There are many types of apps that can then be translated into use on Fresh Grade. Students can easily share the pieces of work they have created on these different platforms on Fresh Grade.

Technology for assessment does not automatically mean students are engaged in the process. Technology can help students be more engaged in their learning when it is used in a way that considers students interests and needs. Students often love using technology and have a lot of knowledge about it. Teachers need to consider the audience or age group, the goal of the assessment, and the type of formative assessment when selecting engaging technology. Student’s learning is more visible than ever before through the use of technology and digital portfolios. Now students can share their excitement about learning on a platform that can travel with them from grade to grade.

Technology for assessment must be well thought out in order to be meaningful. Research has proven that technology can have a strong role in formative assessment so long as teachers are willing to search for the right technology and the right use. While technology can enhance formative assessment it cannot replace a good teacher who has strong pedagogical practices in place. It would seem that teachers are the key to technology enhancing formative assessment.

Technology is particularly important in formative assessment because it provides more open and immediate feedback. Using technology for formative assessment can provide open and immediate feedback in two ways. First, teachers can use quiz apps or exit slips posted to a website such as Padlet to instantly know if students have grasped a concept. With this real-time feedback the lesson can quickly be adjusted based on the information. Second, teachers, students, and parents all have access to student learning throughout the year on a tool like Fresh Grade. Every stakeholder can see a student’s achievements and areas where they are struggling. Students can set goals based on formative assessment before the summative assessment piece comes.

Technology helps students reflect on their journey as a learner throughout the year. Students often display a sense of pride and ownership when they use Fresh Grade. Fresh Grade provides a platform for children to develop their self-assessment skills. Through a careful, ongoing process the digital portfolios can help give evidence of student learning, show their learning journey, and invite students to reflect on their learning. Through writing, drawing, and video students can reflect quickly in real time providing an authentic look at their thoughts. Kelli Vogstad discusses the joy of watching her students using Fresh Grade stating, “It is exciting to watch and listen as students talk and write about what they did, and how they learned; what they struggled with, what was successful for them and how they know this is true. Through this language of reflection and analysis, students learn to monitor, assess, make decisions, and goals to move their learning forward (2015).”

Summative assessment is a key piece in using technology for formative assessment. While my inquiry project focused on formative assessment it has become clear to me that formative assessment is closely linked to summative assessment. Technology can help strengthen the process of student learning which has the potential to help them demonstrate their learning more clearly through summative assessment. This aspect of assessment is one that I will look forward to inquiring into in the future.

My inquiry question and discoveries became a very important part of my practicum and will continue to influence my teaching practice. The use of Fresh Grade was a big part of assessment in my classroom. In my practicum students posted evidence of their work on Fresh Grade. As well I used online concept maps and Padlet walls for conducting formative assessment. I discovered that self-reflection is an important part of formative assessment and student learning. I provided my students with many opportunities to engage in peer and self-assessment, often through Fresh Grade. I plan to continue to incorporate peer and self-assessment into my classroom even if technology is not available.

I used iPad’s and technology in the classroom on a weekly basis. Students were given opportunities to create projects using technology such as a biome video project and a math fraction book using Book Creator. Students set up their own blogs where they posted some of their learning and did a weekly writing assignment. The blogs were also a format for teaching students about internet safety.

I also used video recording in P.E. Originally I hoped to have students record one another performing a task, watch the video and assess for criteria. The purpose was to have students watch and then decide if they have met the criteria. If they had not met the criteria students would then be able to refilm. Once they were satisfied they had met the criteria they would write a self-reflection based on the video. I discovered that this did not match my student’s needs nor was it as practical as I had hoped. I had to change my strategy to use the technology to film my student’s performing the physical task. When I was in charge of the filming it compromised my classroom management. I discovered that while technology can be helpful to formative assessment in many ways, it also has its drawbacks. Teachers must be very intentional about how they use the technology. When I use technology, I will be constantly self-evaluating and checking with my students to make sure the technology is still meaningful in formative assessment. The goal of formative assessment should always be to help students learn and the use of technology is one powerful way this can be accomplished.

How will I continue to grow professionally?

I hope to continue to take advantage of as many professional learning opportunities as possible, particularly around the topics of inquiry, technology, and differentiation. I believe that these three topics are areas that I could continue to pursue for much of my teaching career. I believe that it is important to be open to a wide variety of teaching communities; therefore, I will continue to value the use of social media platforms such as Twitter to engage with various school districts, teachers, and other educators. I have discovered many great ideas through these platforms before and I believe technology is an important part of 21st century learning and teaching.

Another important part of my professional growth is to work on my turn my weaknesses into strengths as a teacher. For example, a weakness in my practice was my voice projection and control. I plan to repursue a passion of mine, singing, by joining a community choir. This past year I learned the importance of balance and taking care of one’s self especially during stressful times. Pursuing singing allows me to have activities beyond my career while helping me to work on my voice control which will help me in my classroom.

I will be working in both the public and private system and I will take advantage of professional development in both systems. I look forward to sharing some of knowledge about the revised curriculum with other colleagues and engaging in meaningful discussions and learning opportunities surrounding the revised curriculum. I have had a number of excellent professional development opportunities such as learning about inquiry, discussing technology with innovative educators, and exploring the revised curriculum. I believe there are other opportunities outside of the district or school for teachers to explore especially surrounding technology. Workshops provided by other groups such as a public library can be a great opportunity to get another perspective on an issue.

Community Field Experience: Part 1

My first week of CFE in Nechako Lakes is drawing to a close and I’m taking a moment to sit and reflect on the experience so far. There have been many new experiences both personally and professionally. The area is beautiful, the people friendly, and the learning opportunities vast.

There are two main things that have stood out to me in the school, collaboration and growth mindset. The teachers and students at my school speak the language of growth mindset. Phrases such as I give up, I made a mistake, and I just can’t make this any better become I can always improve so I’ll keep trying, mistakes help me learn better, and this may take some more effort. There are growth mindset phrases posted throughout the school and classrooms and used frequently by staff and students. I recognize many times in my practicum classroom when these types of phrases could have been implemented to help students think more constructively about their progress.

Collaboration is another key aspect of the school. I have witnessed teacher collaboration in projects, professional development, and student interactions. Teachers work together as classes on projects and learning opportunities such as Innovation Hour. The spirit of collaboration help contributes to the feeling of community throughout the school. Students take ownership of the school and community and collaborate with one another to make items for fundraisers, clean up the school, and look out for one another.

Today I had an opportunity to teach in a Kindergarten classroom and utilize the skills that I have gained throughout the teaching practicum. I had the opportunity to act in a TOC capacity by teaching a lesson that had been planned by another teacher. I read the assignment, a journal writing assignment, and added my own twist to it by having students brainstorm some words they would need to know how to spell and having them review the expectations.

I hope to continue to learn about growth mindset and collaboration by continuing to visit a variety of classrooms and having professional conversations with teachers. I have had a few opportunities to discuss the BC curriculum and growth mindset with some of the teachers at my school. I look forward to further growing and learning from this experience.

Formative Assessment: The Cycle of Sharing

Formative assessment is an important part of the classroom and I have discovered the power of technology in the process of formative assessment. I have discovered that through video and photos my students and I can engage in a cycle of assessment together. For example, my students have been working in literature circle groups and to assess their oral reading I decided to use video to assess their reading skills. Instead of this assessment process taking five weeks where I had to visit each group and hear each student read it was done in one afternoon.

My students recorded videos of one another reading in their literature circle groups and I then uploaded those videos to Fresh Grade. I was then able to make comments on their reading based on the videos at a time when I was able to be relaxed and focused on the task. Before sitting down to listen to or assess my students reading, I had my students log onto Fresh Grade and reflect on their reading and participation in literature circle groups. I learned much more about my students, their reading abilities, and their participation in literature circles by reading their comments and listening to their videos.

I have found that Fresh Grade is an excellent platform for engaging with parents on an ongoing basis. I have shared pictures of their children learning and participating in classroom activities such as art. Parents can then have an opportunity to discuss school with their children in a meaningful and specific way.

I have used technology in other ways such as student response systems, using iPad’s to create an ongoing math project, and blogging online. I have also used a classroom blog space to help students complete a science project. This blog provides them with safe, limited, accurate websites from which to do their research. They are gaining and demonstrating an ongoing skill, researching.

Popsicle Stick Participation

Today I tried a new method for engaging all students in discussion. I have a great group of students who have a ton of ideas to share. I have noticed that sometimes, there a few quieter students who get lost in the mix because I have so many students who are willing to share and discuss. This technique involves giving each student 3 Popsicle sticks. By the end of the discussion each student must have given away one Popsicle stick. For students who have a lot of ideas to share, they can only share 3 times. This encourages quieter students to share and students with lots of ideas to think about what they are choosing to share. I found this technique worked effectively for my students. I saw students who like to share a lot stop to think about what they were going to share and make their sharing count. Some students chose to share comments that were not always on task and were disappointed when there Popsicle sticks were gone and they could not share anymore.

All students contributed to our discussion on explorers and exploration and the energy and excitement in the room was tangible. Towards the end of the discussion some students had not shared and I made sure to check in with them to see if they needed more think time. Giving these students think time allowed them to feel safe when sharing and also gave other students the opportunity to have another turn to speak. I was particularly pleased to hear some well-thought out answers from students who rarely share in a group discussion. I plan to use this strategy again because I think it is beneficial to all students. Students learn that there opinions and thoughts are valuable and add to the discussion. I hope to encourage the quieter students to share on their own as they become more comfortable voicing their opinions in front of the class. I also hope to help students who love to share think about using their Popsicle sticks to share in a meaningful way that enriches the conversation.

I found that from an assessment perspective this was a low-tech way to quickly check in with my students on their understanding of the topic. I was able to tell who was following the conversation and understood the questions. Once everyone had shared I felt confident that all students understood what an explorer is.

At the end I still had 6-7 students who wanted to share and still had Popsicle sticks left. There was not enough time to have all students share in a big group and I felt that our class discussion and yielded a rich variety of answers. I had my students quickly pair up and share their remaining thoughts on the topic with a partner. I was then able to engage with a few students close to me who had questions or who had a thought they wanted to share with me.

Through the Eyes of a Student

I am half way through my 10 week practicum and taking a moment to reflect on teaching. I recently realized that before the practicum started I was thinking about my unit and lesson plans through the eyes of teaching and a teacher. I have begun to understand that my thinking has shifted and I am more and more seeing my lessons through the eyes of a student. When I began to plan I had not been with my students for an extended period of time. I had begun to get to know them as students and people but I didn’t really know them that well. I planned all these lessons and units for people that I was trying to visualize. Now as I teach them daily I have gotten to know them on a deeper, more personal level.

I am constantly learning new things about them as learners and as I result I am slowly getting better at teaching this group of learners. My class is no longer a semi-abstract group of students. Every day we learn and grow together and I make changes to our day and our lessons based on their needs and interests. There are days when things don’t go well or a lesson flops but I always know that the next day is a fresh start and we can try it again tomorrow.

There are also days when things go well. I have had many of those moments when I can clearly see, hear, and even feel that students are engaged in their learning. Science has been a great opportunity to try many different things with my students including incorporating technology. My students have researched, experimented, discussed and thought about, and learned about landforms, erosion, and biomes. We have gotten dirty outside doing erosion experiments. This was one of my favourite moments for three reasons:

1. One of the experiments did not go as planned and we had a 30 minute discussion afterwards about how the erosion was supposed to work and what we could learn from this experience.
  2. Students were able to clearly describe three types of erosion using drawings and words the following day.
  3. During student led-conferences students were excited to introduce me as the teacher with whom they did science experiments. They then demoed land erosion at the back of the classroom for their parents.

imageimage

Learning about biomes has provided many great “learnable” moments. Students had the opportunity to teach their peers about different biomes of the world. As a teacher I learned two important lessons:

1. That students often need to be provided with detailed steps for various skills such as researching.
  2. Once they have those skills, they are able to soar far beyond my initial expectations.

imageimageimage
I was blown away by the presentations that students created. They had truly pushed themselves to learn about their biomes and to teach others in an interesting way. I was pleased to share this assignment with parents and students via Fresh Grade and to leave a few comments for students to reflect on. This gave me an insight into the value of a tool like Fresh Grade.

Students continue to learn about biomes in science this time with a focus on protecting BC’s biomes. I look forward to continuing to learn and grow through the eyes of my students.

Inquiry Synthesis

Inquiry Synthesis

Where I Came From:

When I first chose my inquiry topic, I chose it with the intention of researching and discovering more about the benefits and downfalls of Fresh Grade. I quickly discovered that there is much more technology to be involved in formative assessment in the classroom. My main focus continued to be Fresh Grade; however, it was only one piece of the puzzle.

I anticipated that technology is becoming an important part of 21st century learning; however, I discovered through personal experiences, scholarly research, and discussions with colleagues just how impactful technology can be. My inquiry journey took me far beyond my initial expectations. I will address each of my initial expectations, how they were confirmed or denied, and how my expectations were taken further.

Where I Am Now:

Expectation Number One: It is not a matter of if we will use technology for assessment but when and how.

Formative assessment has proven to help increase student learning and as a result technology has begun to catch up in the classroom. There are many different tools for formative assessment that are now becoming available for school districts and they need to be taken advantage of. In their article Technology and formative assessment Brown, Hinze, and Pellegrino state: “With technology, assessment can become richer, more timely, and more seamlessly interwoven with multiple aspects of curriculum and instruction (2008, p. 253).”

Edutopia blogger Monica Burns suggests four categories of apps or websites that can help teachers with formative assessment: Quiz Apps, Show What You Know, Mind Mapping, Miscellaneous Apps (2014, December 14). These apps can then be translated into use on Fresh Grade. Students can easily share the pieces of work they have created on these different platforms on Fresh Grade.

Expectation Number Two: Technology for assessment does not automatically mean students are engaged in the process.

Technology can help students be more engaged in their learning when it is used in a way that considers students interests and needs. Students often love using technology and have a lot of knowledge about it. Teachers need to consider the audience or age group, the goal of the assessment, and the type of formative assessment when selecting engaging technology. Ms. Lileana Rios has found that the use of Edutopia in her classroom increased student engagement and students who would not normally be engage in their learning are sharing ideas, videos, and thoughts related to the topics (2013, February 9). Student’s learning is more visible than ever before through the use of technology and digital portfolios. Now students can share their excitement about learning on a platform that can travel with them from grade to grade.

Expectation Number Three: Technology for assessment must be well thought out in order to be meaningful.

Research has proven that technology can have a strong role in formative assessment so long as teachers are willing to search for the right technology and the right use. While technology can enhance formative assessment it cannot replace a good teacher who has strong pedagogical practices in place. It would seem that teachers are the key to technology enhancing formative assessment.

Expectation Number Four: Technology is particularly important in formative assessment because it provides more open and immediate feedback.

Using technology for formative assessment can provide open and immediate feedback in two ways. First, teachers can use quiz apps or exit slips posted to a website such as Padlet to instantly know if students have grasped a concept. With this real-time feedback the lesson can quickly be adjusted based on the information. Second, teachers, students, and parents all have access to student learning throughout the year on a tool like Fresh Grade. Every stakeholder can see a student’s achievements and areas where they are struggling. Students can set goals based on formative assessment before the summative assessment piece comes.

Expectation Number Five: Technology helps students reflect on their journey as a learner throughout the year.

Students often display a sense of pride and ownership when they use Fresh Grade. Fresh Grade provides a platform for children to develop their self-assessment skills. Through a careful, ongoing process the digital portfolios can help give evidence of student learning, show their learning journey, and invite students to reflect on their learning.  The Early Childhood Research and Practice has found that instant video revisiting, which allows students to immediately view videos of themselves working and reflect alongside their teacher, has helped support student learning (Beyne, 2015).

Through writing, drawing, and video students can reflect quickly in real time providing an authentic look at their thoughts. Kelli Vogstad discusses the joy of watching her students using Fresh Grade stating, “It is exciting to watch and listen as students talk and write about what they did, and how they learned; what they struggled with, what was successful for them and how they know this is true. Through this language of reflection and analysis, students learn to monitor, assess, make decisions, and goals to move their learning forward (2015).”

Expectation Number Six: Summative assessment is a key piece in using technology for formative assessment.

While my inquiry project focused on formative assessment it has become clear to me that formative assessment is closely linked to summative assessment. Technology can help strengthen the process of student learning which has the potential to help them demonstrate their learning more clearly through summative assessment. This aspect of assessment is one that I will look forward to inquiring into in the future.

Where I Am Headed:

Armed with the knowledge of how technology can enhance formative assessment I look forward to using this knowledge in my practicum. The use of Fresh Grade will be a big part of assessment in my classroom. Students will continue to post evidence of their work on Fresh Grade. I plan to use online concept maps and perhaps Padlet walls for conducting formative assessment. I know that self-reflection is an important part of formative assessment and student learning.  Therefore, students will be given many opportunities to engage in peer and self-assessment, most likely through Fresh Grade.

I plan to bring the use of iPad’s and technology into the classroom on a weekly basis. Students will be given opportunities to create projects using technology such as a biome video project and a math fraction book using Book Creator. Students will also be setting up their own blogs where they will post some of their learning and write reflections.  I will also be using video recording in P.E. Students will record one another performing a task, watch the video and assess for criteria. They can then decide if they have met the criteria. If not, they can refilm. Once they are satisfied they have met the criteria they will write a self-reflection based on the video.

Most importantly, I will be constantly self-evaluating and checking with my students to make sure the technology is still meaningful in formative assessment. The goal of formative assessment should always be to help students learn and the use of technology is one powerful way this can be accomplished.

Burns, M. (2015, December 14). Empowering Teachers with Tech-Friendly Formative Assessment Tools.  Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/tech-friendly-  formative-assessment-tools- monica-burns

Ledezma, Daniel. (2013, February 9). Technology in the classroom-Infuse Learning and Edmodo. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0hNJjFy-M

Vogstad, K. (2015, August 31). Digital Portfolios…Making the Learning Visible. Retrieved             from http://kellivogstad.com/2015/08/31/digital-portfolios-making-the-learning-visible/

Technology and Formative Assessment

Formative assessment has been recognized as an important part of helping students to enhance their learning. Research has shown that formative assessment can help increase student performance and grades. Brown, Hinze, and Pellegrino state, “There is now a substantial body of evidence from K-12 classrooms showing that quality formative assessment practices enhance teaching effectiveness and produce student academic achievement gains (2008, p. 246).” Because formative assessment has proven to help increase student learning, technology has began to catch up to formative assessment. Brown, Hinze, and Pellegrino state, “The importance of formative assessment in instructional practice, coupled with the requirements of NCLB and data-driven decision making, has given rise to a wave of commercially available technology-based assessment products that are being heavily marketed to school districts (2008, p. 249).”  There are many different tools for formative assessment that are now becoming available for school districts and they need to be taken advantage of. This article details various tools that are available to schools.  These various tools can help to meet the needs of various users of assessment including districts, schools, students, and parents. The most important conclusion that is drawn by this article is that technology can be an important part of assessment. Brown, Hinze, and Pellegrino state: “With technology, assessment can become richer, more timely, and more seamlessly interwoven with multiple aspects of curriculum and instruction (2008, p. 253).”  Formative assessment can become much more valuable with the use of technology.

Brown, J., Hinze, S., & Pellegrino, J. W. (2008). Technology and formative assessment. 21st Century education, 2, 245-255.

Focusing in on Fresh Grade

When I first chose my inquiry topic, I chose it with the intention of researching and discovering more about the benefits and downfalls of Fresh Grade. I quickly discovered that there is much more technology to be involved in formative assessment in the classroom. However, I still wanted to reflect on the use of Fresh Grade and how it can help student learning. With the introduction of Fresh Grade students are now developing a digital portfolio of their learning. The idea behind Fresh Grade is to make the learning visible.  Kelli Vogstad documents her own journey of using Fresh Grade in the classroom.  She sums up the importance of Fresh Grade stating, “It placed the child at the center of the learning process; students were invited to reflect on and talk about their learning in real and informed ways, and to identify and set new learning goals (2015).”

Through a careful, ongoing process the digital portfolio can help give evidence of student learning, show their learning journey, and invite students to reflect on their learning. Vogstad emphasizes the importance of the teacher’s role in this process stating, “To capture and document student learning, I must be a careful observer, listener, and questioner.  I have to help students create artifacts that are worth “putting their brains on” to talk about and analyze.  I need to be patient and remember that it takes “a lot of slow to grow” (2015).” Fresh Grade is not an effective tool if it does not show what students are learning and how they are growing in that learning. That learning journey can be documented throughout the year using formative assessment. The teacher and students can document ongoing processes and therefore see the progress that has been made. Vogstad discusses how she creates tasks that will help showcase student learning saying, “The tasks behind the documentation have to be well constructed, process-centered, open-ended, thinking tasks in order to invite students to reflect on and talk about their learning (2015).”

Vogstad suggests four types of documentation that could be used on Fresh Grade: two of the same, showing the knowing, celebrating the learning, and communicating the hows and whys (2015). For each type of documentation she provides a brief description as well as real examples of student work. Through Fresh Grade teachers can easily share pieces of work and formatively assess. This can then help inform student’s work later on when they work towards summative assessment pieces.

Fresh Grade also allows students to formatively assess and reflect on their own work. Vogstad discusses the joy of watching her students using Fresh Grade stating, “It is exciting to watch and listen as students talk and write about what they did, and how they learned; what they struggled with, what was successful for them and how they know this is true. Through this language of reflection and analysis, students learn to monitor, assess, make decisions, and goals to move their learning forward (2015).” Students can also go back and compare their learning from the beginning of the year to the end. Fresh Grade is a tool that is changing the way we assess our students and the way they assess themselves.

My own experiences with Fresh Grade have allowed me to see the potential for helping students keep track of their learning journey. Students often display a sense of pride and ownership when they use Fresh Grade. Fresh Grade provides a link between the home and school, giving children an opportunity to share their learning with their parents. Fresh Grade also provides a platform for children to develop their self-assessment skills. They can easily go online and write about their strengths and areas that need improvement. Those comments are visible to the teacher and parents and a plan to meet student goals can be developed. Fresh Grade not only supports teachers and students in engaging in formative assessment, it provides a platform for creating a daily learning plan. Student’s learning is more visible than ever before through the use of digital portfolios. Now students can share their excitement about learning on a platform that can travel with them from grade to grade.

Vogstad, K. (2015, August 31). Digital Portfolios…Making the Learning Visible. Retrieved from http://kellivogstad.com/2015/08/31/digital-portfolios-making-the-learning-visible/