David Kohler

My name is David Kohler, I am currently a PhD student in the department of mathematics at UBC working with Joel Friedman. My research area is algebraic graph theory where I study eigenvalues of random lifts of graphs.

Before that, I completed my MSc in Mathematics at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland where I mainly studied algebraic topology under Kathryn Hess Bellwald.

Over the past few years, I’ve been increasingly involved in various education projects and initiatives.

MATH TA training

I’ve been involved in the TA training community of practice as a program facilitator for my department.

MATH ISW

I’m an ISW facilitator and am coordinating the department-specific MATH ISW.

MATH TA accreditation program

In collaboration with David Steinberg, I am developing a course for our department’s TA Accreditation Program. More on this soon as we get ready to offer a new course for this program this coming Fall.

Wiki and open education resources

I’m mostly responsible for the creation of the Math Exam Resources wiki which offers solutions of past exams of the math department. Along with the UBC wiki gardener, Will Engle, I’ll be a speaker at this year’s open education conference to discuss my work on the creation of open education resources on the UBC wiki.

Education research

As much as possible, I also collaborate with Warren Code on education research. We ran an interesting experience to see the impact of high-engagement teaching in a calculus classroom and got some pretty interesting results, more to come soon!