Summer Travel Plans

Thinking of my summer travel plans keep me working hard through these busy weeks. I’m looking forward to going on a mini road trip with Misaki, finally being reunited with Amy in Toronto, the possibility of reuniting with my old

April 7 + 8 – TORONTO

hello world! haven’t (but almost) forgotten about this week

Friday was a pretty solid day at work, nothing much there~ the exciting part of this weekend was getting home after work and having an hour to:

• eat dinner
  • watch the latest episode of Riverdale
  • pack for a night with a friend in Toronto

which I did! This was my third time bussing somewhere for the weekend to visit a friend, and it felt familiar as ever. Buenos Aires. Paris. Toronto. London (Ontario, not UK). Wherever I am, bus windows cast the same dull sheen on the passing scenery, and it’s comforting, uniting, reassuring. I spent the rest of my Friday watching TV and catching up with a friend!

I’m honestly not sure what to write because everything felt ordinary in the best way possible. Caught up with friends, ate good food, walked around in sunny weather, went to a Vimy commemorative event, bought a green tea soy latte and a slice of lemon loaf (for the first time in MONTHS wow). I had time with both friends and myself, and feeling good about both situations felt very…good. comfortable. walking around solo in good weather is a nice feel and it was just good vibes all around~

When I got back, I went over to Silas’ coworker’s home for Mexican night! When the bus pulled into the neighbourhood, I felt like I’d been pulled back home. It was the first time in a long while that I was in a non-student-dominated neighbourhood, and it felt like I’d waltzed back into Vancouver. These are some memories that ran through my head:

• walking to the playground with friends after a sleepover
  • driving through small streets while practicing for my driver’s license
  • pulling up to a family party
  • walking to Grandma’s house after school

wow residential neighbourhoods and comfort and recognition and familiarity and all-around coziness this Friday and Saturday

The food at Mexican night was really good, and the guinea pigs were very cute and squeaky. I started watching One-Punch Man last night and there went my night

Here are some things I’ve learned while doing this weekly blogging project:

• really need to blog the day of or the morning after, or else so much detail is lost
  • Ups and downs are a little more evident to me, which is good! It’s nice to see that both are present, because when I’m feeling down, it’s hard to see over the mountains
  • it is harder than I thought to blog here! I have a private journal blog that I use when I’m travelling, and it feels easy to word-barf there. I feel the need to be a little more sanitized and a little less ~let’s dump out the contents of my brain, both good and bad~ while in a public setting, which is to be expected, I guess
  • I’m very unsure of my target audience here and who’s reading (if you’re reading this, thanks for following along ???? )

Okay! I could definitely feel the post quality tapering as I approached the end of the week, and this post has been no different, but…thanks for reading! I think my next post will be near the end of my work term, or after I’ve returned to Vancouver. I want to try to make the most of the last month I have in Waterloo, and if I’m successful with that, I’ll let you know ????

Posted in Uncategorized

April 5 – bump those blocks of responsibility down the line

good morning world! you are so rainy for me this morning. every time it rains, i can’t help but make a “feels just like home” joke. maybe this is your way of trying to get vancouver smugness out of me so I’ll buy an umbrella for once.

Yesterday, I finished the web activity I was working on and started working on optimizing some other code/adding some new functionalities to the code. be wise. functionalize. So, on the work front, things were pretty normal. I didn’t listen to music yesterday, because I grew sick of everything on my phone and I keep forgetting to save new music to my Spotify library. That was a bit of a lie: I ended up listening to some 2009 Owl City at the end of the day. Do you fall asleep in hospital parking lots?

I had a social committee meeting yesterday! I’m on the BlackBerry Student Social Committee, and we plan events for the 120+ students at the BlackBerry Waterloo campus (there are committees on the other BB campuses as well!). I’m glad I applied to be on the committee because it gave me the chance to

• get to know people better
  • have a reason to be at co-op events and feel like I have a place there
  • use the co-op student mailing list for legitimate reasons

I signed up because I wanted to meet people and not feel out of place at co-op events, and I’m glad I did. Related note, because I wanted to do it for similar reasons: my friend and I are VP Events for Fizz council next year! So, that’s a recurring theme.

After work, I had 20 minutes to make and eat dinner, touch up my makeup, and figure out what to bring to the theatre. Dinner was udon and half a cucumber, and I made it to the bus on time with newly lined eyes! I bussed to downtown Kitchener to watch Hidden Figures, and it was SO GOOD!!! omg it was a beautiful telling of often untold/unseen stories and as an engineering student it was just so MATH i love math and SPACE how can I find my way to the Canadian Space Agency and just !!!! watch watch watch

I wasn’t planning to go out last night, so now I have responsibilities that got pushed to today, but I went out for a friend’s birthday and had a good time! some friends that don’t usually go out WENT OUT and it was one of those things that you have to capture on camera to prove actually happened. my shoes are just a little bit stickier now. I got home later than expected, so I’m a little tired today, but all is good in this rainy city~

Posted in Uncategorized

• get to know people better

Posted in Uncategorized