How to Get Into Research Part 3: Getting Out There

Step 2: Submitting an Application

Some labs will specify what they want in their application, but what all applications boil down to is pretty much this: your transcript (a screenshot of your grade summary off of SSC is fine, no need to pay that fee at Brock Hall), your C.V., and a cover letter.

Most labs require a minimum GPA for you to be an RA (usually 75 % or 80 % and above). If you don’t meet that GPA, you can always try to explain in your cover letter why you might still be an excellent candidate, but please, please don’t photoshop your transcript. You know why.

Unlike what your Planning 10 teacher might have told you in high school, a C.V. is not exactly like a resume. It’s more focused on your academic achievements, and you can get a sense of what I’m talking about by looking up the C.V.s of the PIs you’re thinking of contacting. Yours doesn’t have to be as extensive, though, especially as you don’t yet have your Masters and PhD, ha ha. Stick to the resume rule of being no longer than two pages, and you should be fine. Of course, try to tailor the experience you put on your C.V. to what you think might be relevant for the lab. Previous lab experience is great, but assuming you don’t have that, say, if the lab you’re applying for studies infants and you used to volunteer at a day camp for preschoolers, that’s a legitimate point to note down. At least the PI/lab manager(s) will know that you can interact with people just fine.

Most people forget a cover letter. Don’t! Sure, you can just email a PI/lab manager your transcript and C.V. saying, “Here’s my application, Please consider it. Byyyyeee!!!!”, but why not put in a tad more effort? For your cover letter, you don’t want to write a novel, but you do want to include enough information to convey who you are, what experience you might have that makes you a good candidate, and your reasons for wanting to join the lab. Most PIs should have a website that lists the papers they’ve published. It would be in your best interests to go over some of these papers, or at least the abstracts, and note one or two in your cover letter that you found particularly rad to show that you are actually keen on the research of the lab.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get an immediate reply, or even a rejection! I got every response from no replies (this also happened to my friend this summer, so perhaps this is not all that uncommon) to a kind reply about how the PI whose research I was really, really interested in was actually retired (!) and chilling in Papa New Guinea (!!) to a few requests for interviews. In fact, the first interview I was about to have I never got to go to, because later on I learned I needed a lab for PSYC 366, and the lab I wanted to work in couldn’t accommodate. The struggles of applying to be an RA are like the struggles of applying for a job: people get hired when they have past experience in the field, but how are you supposed to get to that point when you have no experience??? My friends, the tough answer is perseverance.

Step 3: Mastering the Interview

Interviews are conducted differently for each lab. Some questions you might be asked are: What are you planning to get out of being an RA? What experience do you have that’s relevant for XYZ, which is a common RA task in this lab? Are you planning to pursue research further after you graduate? My advice? Be honest, and if you really want to be a part of this lab, let your enthusiasm show! In my experience, this is just as much an opportunity for the interviewer to tell you more about the lab as it is for you to convey why you want to be in the lab. Labs need people to run, and it’s best to know from the get-go whether you and the lab are a good fit. Positive feelings have to be mutual.

Step 4: What Next?

There are two kinds of labs; wet labs and dry labs. Think micropipettes for the former and human participants for the latter. As an RA for either of these labs, you’re likely to start out doing administrative work: cleaning, preparing solutions, booking, data entry etc. Take this as an opportunity to explore the workings of your lab a little more, like the people and the research. Once you get a feel for this, if you’re still pretty enthusiastic about what you’re doing, consider asking the PI to take on more work. From my experience, there’s always room for growth as an RA, even if you are just an undergraduate student. I’ve known RAs who’ve taken on actual studies and had their names included in research papers and RAs who have presented in conferences from BC to Texas. If you’re just starting out, consider presenting for UBC undergraduate conferences like LSURC and MURC.

Being an volunteer RA allows you to move onto other positions in the lab that allow you to take on more responsibility. For Psychology/BNS students, you can apply to be a Directed Studies student through your undergraduate advisor. What this involves is taking on your own research project and writing a paper about it, either for one term or the full school year depending on what you and your PI work out. If you want to be more serious about it, consider becoming an Honours student. Conduct wicked science and earn school credit! If you’re more financially inclined, look into becoming a Work Learn student. Get paid to be an RA!

So that’s a wrap! Before I end off this series, I want to say a few things because I can never stop typing, ha ha. (1) It’s never too late or too early to get into research. PIs/lab managers deliberately seek out young RAs (read: first and second year students), because there is potential for these RAs to stick around. If you’re older, that’s not so bad either; you’ve likely accumulated a lot of experience to help you out with the application process. (2) Most labs seek out RAs at the beginning of a term, and some labs even operate over the summer if you want something to do and have less schoolwork to juggle. Keep this in mind when you send off your applications. (3) Some labs are huge and have as many as twenty RAs, and some are small. There are pros and cons to each of these situations. If one lab doesn’t work out because of the people or the research or whatever, you can always try finding another one. (4) You know, I didn’t expect how much I would enjoy being an RA, but it’s really been an eye-opening experience for me. I hope it is for you too if you decide this is what you want to do.

As always, if you have any questions–or even tips of your own, if you’ve been through this–leave a comment! Best of luck!!!

\(^-^)\

How to Get Into Research Part 2: Resources

Hunting for labs is always fun. There’s so much cool stuff that gets done at UBC, you shouldn’t bother with applying for labs doing research that doesn’t interest you. Something’s bound to come at you with that “Ooohhh” factor.

Now, being an RA is a huge time commitment. Most labs require 6-10 hours a week and either a full-term or full-school year commitment. You should be confident that you can balance this along with your schoolwork. That said, although some labs may require fewer hours out of your schedule, it’s as the saying goes: “You get what you put in”: a lab that requires more commitment might be the better determinant in what you choose to do in the future. I speak from personal experience here.

Just something to keep in mind.

Step 1: Finding the Right Lab

If you major in Psychology or BNS, you might have already received emails from UBC IT SSPA about RA calls for psych labs. (It really is a good idea to pay attention to your emails, folks!) These emails direct you to the Department of Psychology’s Get Involved in Research page, which is a good place to start hunting for labs, since there’s at least some guarantee that the principle investigator/lab manager is looking for new RAs.

Another resource to take advantage of would be the bulletin board on the main floor of the Kenny Building. Lots of labs that don’t always know how to connect with UBC IT post RA calls there. I recommend taking photos of the postings so you can research their respective labs further at home. (Side note: this is also where you might find info about other volunteering opportunities, clubs, and PAID (!) studies that you can participate in.)

If you’re planning to participate in any HSP studies, ask for the contact information of the researcher. The grad student in charge of an HSP study I once supervised let me give out her email address to participants who were interested in joining the lab.

Also, talk to your prof! I know a lot of these resources concern psych labs, but this advice applies to anyone looking to get involved in science. One of my peers became an RA in her first year through this method. Over the summer, a friend of mine sent out emails to profs who had taught courses she enjoyed, and she eventually scored a lab to work with for her Honours thesis. You know how profs are like, “Come to my office hours! I’m down to talking about anything!”? This is your chance, my friends!

Lastly, if you already have an idea of what branch of research you would like to contribute to, you’re in the best position. Snoop around some UBC departmental websites to get a sense of which labs best align with your interests, then politely email the PI listed. For Psychology/BNS research conducted at UBC, check out the Department of Psychology’s Labs page.

And so the search begins! Keep an eye out for my next post in which I go over how to apply to labs and what you might expect once you become an RA.

/(^-^)/

Update // 更新

Hey everyone,

I’m sorry for the delay in writing up a new blog post. I had a few down along the pipeline, but with lectures starting and life in Tokyo starting to settle in, it’s been a bit difficult for me to sit down and pump something out. Writing this blog, for me, is like having a conversation with someone at home – except that the conversation is kind of one-sided. If anything I write prompts you guys to respond, I hope that you do so through one avenue or another. It reminds me to “keep it real” – not to take myself too seriously, and to remember that wherever I am, there are people at home who love, support, and are praying for me, and (as per Joshua 1:9 and my Instagram post) my God “will be with me wherever [I] go.”

みなさん、お元気ですか?

この間何にも通告できなくてごめんなさい。授業が始まったばかりので、もう大変になりつつあるのです。生活にもなり始めたのですが、いっぱい慣れてないものもありますので、最近の気分が混雑になってしまうときもあります。それでも、うちのみなさんとこのチャンネルに通して自分の経験をシェアできることは本当に嬉しくさせます。みなさんはぜひ、私の書いたことを読んで、何か感想や反応ができたことになったら、遠慮なくどんな方法を通しても私に告げてください。これで落ち着けさせる上に、神様はいつも臨在であることをインスタの掲載どおり覚えさせます。

School

Lectures are in full swing here at Keio. After a somewhat harrowing course registration process (I was chatting with my friend from rival school Waseda, where the process is largely the same, and with regards to the process back home and not getting your classes, she said, “That’s so stressful!”), I ended up taking courses in Japanese linguistics, early modern history and literature, and religious thought. Everyone says school is supposed to be easy, and it really could be when lecture consists of 90 minutes of the prof delivering information. (The girl behind me in one of my lectures was fully asleep the entire time.) But of course I have a language barrier (regardless of its size) to take into consideration, and I really, really want to get this content down. Sometimes I don’t really know what to do when I’m caught between hanging out with new friends, trying to read the one-too-many books I’ve bought, or trying to work through content that sometimes really is a little over my head. I’m hoping I’ll get the swing of it soon.

授業のリズムは段々激しくなっていきます。複雑な授業登録して終わった後、結局日本史、論理思想、文学、語学に関する授業に登録しておりました。みんなは「日本の授業は何とかラクの方が多いかな」って、授業90分に渡って先生の説教のみ聞くことは本当にそれを確認するかもしれません。(前回後ろに座っていた女子が全授業ぐっと寝ていたのです。)でも日本語で授業をとるのは、日本の学生と比べる私は劣っていた状態になりますよね。課題を本当に理解したいところで、毎日の生活の中にどこでどのぐらい頑張った方がいいのかよくコツはまだ捉まってないと思いますけど…「何とかやれる」と思います。

Church

Church family at home, please be assured that I am being blessed beyond anything I could have expected. There’s so much I want to tell you about my church here – the worship is superb, for both the musicians and the congregation; the fellowship is warm and welcoming; there are so many opportunities I’ve found through the church’s different ministries – Bible study, dance ministry, on-the-spot interpretation, you name it – that have profoundly touched me and made me grateful to be here, grateful for the support network of fellow believers I don’t know what I’d do without. I’m even more excited to know that God is turning your eyes and hearts toward this country. I’m waiting in anticipation, and striving every day so I can bring good news back to you.

うちの教会の皆さん、私はここに本当に嬉しくて、恵まれています。賛美する時も、音楽員も信者の皆さんたちも惚れている気がするし、兄弟姉妹たちと仲良くして、食事や礼拝後コーヒー集まりもしてるし、教会の別々の活動によって感動させています。皆さんが応援しているだからこそ毎日頑張る力を出すことができます。皆さんが日本に目線と心を神様の恩典によって向かっていることがゆえで、本当に喜んでいます。これからいいことが告げられるように期待しています。

Dance

The caliber of training here is so very high. I’m going to my church’s Gospel dance workshop every Tuesday night, organized by a friend from church, and being exposed to a lot of different styles. There are still a few studios on my list I need to hit, but there are so many opportunities for training that I really, really want to take – would appreciate some prayer for that.

トレーニングの水準が高くて驚かせます。火曜日教会のゴスペルダンスWSに通っているゆえで、様々なスタイルと接触することができます。この東京には多様なスタイルのスタジオが存在していますので、まだ全部行っていませんから、祈って下されるなら本当に感謝します。

We held a heart in class!

During this morning’s pathology lecture, our lecturer brought us three heart specimens to examine.  For those of you that have handled raw chicken, a heart feels VERY similar to a piece of young chicken. I highly recommend the class PATH

Submit to The Garden Statuary!

Happy October, everyone! Before I get back to my “How to Get Into Research” series, I just wanted to let you know about an amazing opportunity at UBC to get your work published. (≧∇≦)/

Are you a poet, writer, artist, photographer, musician, film-maker, critic, or just someone with a rad idea for a creative project? Consider submitting to The Garden Statuary, UBC’s very own undergraduate literary journal! The Garden Statuary has published over 140 (!) pieces of student work across its 12 issues, and it’s not about to end there. Submissions are now open, and the editorial board seems pretty eager to review whatever you have to offer. I’m quite excited to look through this new issue myself.

(And a quick note to all you aspiring grad students out there: to echo what my English prof told my class last spring, having your academic essays published in undergraduate journals can be an excellent way to bolster up that grad school application! (^_-)-☆)

The deadline to submit your work for this fall issue is October 20th. You can head to thegardenstatuary.com for more information about submission guidelines. (✿◠‿◠)

Let’s see your awesome work published!

P. S. These emoticons came from Wikipedia, in case you were wondering. I know, I love them too.

How to Get Into Research Part 1: Preamble

Last year on Imagine Day, I sat through one of those “Welcome to your major!” talks that my undergraduate advisor was giving to the newest cohort of Behavioural Neuroscience (BNS) students. One of the points I remember distinctly from his presentation was when he talked about his own experience as a UBC BNS student and how he had entered the program with absolutely no plans to go to grad school. He’s a professor now, so I guess you know what happened next.

“I highly recommend you take on a Directed Studies project,” he urged us several times throughout his presentation. “It will be a worthwhile experience.” For me, who still wasn’t so sure how I felt about this “Holy crap–I actually switched majors” thing, factoring a Directed Studies course into my immediate academic plans was just way too extreme. Other people, real BNS students who got their major right the first time around, got to have this mythical experience of working in labs, not me, the quasi-BNS student.

I forgot how doubtful I had felt about getting involved research until recently. A fellow research assistant (RA) in my lab had mentioned how pursuing a Directed Studies project had never seriously crossed her mind, because she had always thought Directed Studies students were too smart–smarter than she could ever be, at least. Which is totally false. She’s one of the best RAs of the team, I kid you not. But you know what I’m getting at, right? Oftentimes, the biggest obstacle standing in your way is yourself.

So if you’ve been thinking about getting into research (or whatever it is that you’ve been wanting to do, as I’m about to dole out some pretty general ~life advice~) and yet feel kind of nervous about it, just know that if you never put yourself out there, even if it’s at the risk of rejection, you’ll never get to where you want to be. Everyone has a beginning, and you shouldn’t compare yours with someone else’s middle. Try out new stuff! That’s part of the uni experience. If you don’t like it, move on. At least you know. And if you do happen to like what you got yourself into…Well, maybe some attentive students will be listening to your presentation on how you got to where you are in the near future. ????

Okay, so enough of my “You can do it!” spiel. Time for the good stuff. You’ve decided that something new you want to try out this year is to work in a lab. (Maybe you’re dead-set about going to grad school, maybe not. Maybe you’re just trying to figure out what you want to do with your degree, and this may be just the opportunity that will help you narrow down your goals.) What now? Obviously, you have to find a lab first. In the next post, I’ll go over what I learned applying to be an RA for different labs, and hopefully some of what I’ve written will help kickstart your dazzling new future in research!

\(^-^)/

A Sick Day

Or rather, sick days. I caught a cold on the Tuesday. The night before, I had worn a hoodie over my pyjamas and, mistakenly, had thought it would keep my warm enough to forgo a second blanket. (I need more blubber, is what my mom tells me.) That could have been the cause, or maybe not, but regardless, I woke up that day with a sore throat, and now here I am, feeling like I’ve done nothing but swallow fish bones for the past few days and my nose constantly dripping. I have taken to carrying a whole box of tissues in my backpack. I haven’t gotten sick since, I dunno, tenth grade? As colds go, this is not the worst I’ve contracted, but I forgot how clouded your head can get. People tell me things, and all of it goes straight through my head like an ragged arrow. It’s like I’m always on the brink of a headache when I try to hold a thought in my head, but that could also be me trying super hard not to sneeze at the same time. There’s so much work I want to do, but maybe I’ll take it easy tonight and have a nap, drink some chamomile tea. Or maybe not.