Grafos ML is Online!

It’s my pleasure to announce that Grafos ML, a Telefonica Open Project, is now online. Grafos ML offers tools for large-scale machine learning and graph analytics on top of Apache Giraph. The two main components are Okapi ML Library (machine learning algorithms, which include our recent work on detecting fake accounts in online social services) and RT-Giraph (incremental processing on top of Giraph). This is still an active project that is under heavy development at Telefonica Research, Barcelona.

Invited Talk at AAAI 2014 Spring Symposia

It’s my pleasure to announce that I will be giving a talk at AAAI 2014 Spring Symposia on March 24th. As part of the Social Hacking and Cognitive Security on the Internet and New Media Symposium, I will be talking about our on-going research on protecting the social web from abusive automation, socialbots in particular.

This symposium, which is sponsored by AAAI and held in cooperation with the Stanford University Computer Science Department, will convene a diverse group of experts relevant to the broad area of cognitive security (“CogSec”) that includes the development of methods that (1) detect and analyze cognitive vulnerabilities and (2) block efforts that exploit cognitive vulnerabilities to influence collective action at multiple scales.

Best Paper Award at ASONAM’13

It’s my pleasure to announce that our paper “Graph-based Sybil detection in social and information systems” has received the Best Paper Award in its track (there were a total of 54 full papers). The award also includes free conference registration for next year.

The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM) is one of the top conferences in the field (13% acceptance rate this year). The conference provides an interdisciplinary venue that brings together practitioners and researchers from a variety of SNAM fields to promote collaborations and exchange of ideas and practices. ASONAM 2013 is intended to address important aspects with a specific focus on the emerging trends and industry needs associated with social networking analysis and mining. The conference solicits experimental and theoretical works on social network analysis and mining along with their application to real life situations.