About Me

Hi there! My name is Yazan Boshmaf. I am a PhD student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC). That’s in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. Here is my CV — it includes all info detailed below.

During the 2009 Easter in Titisee, Germany.

On my first name: My first name means a writer in Turkish. When pronounced Ya-zen, it means the sharp side of a blade in ancient Arabic. It also means to balance things in today’s Arabic. It is the first name of a Gundam character, Yazan Gable,  who was one of the Titans famous aces during the Gryps conflict. This makes me cooler than most of you. Yes!

On my background: I was born in 1983 and raised up by a loving Circassian family in Amman, Jordan. My cultural heritage is rich, and I am very proud of it. I finished my general secondary examination, which is called Tawjihi, in 2001. Soon after that, I started my B.Sc. degree in computer engineering at Jordan University of Science and Technology in Irbid, Jordan. I managed to complete the 5-year degree in four years in 2005, and immediately started my industrial career in the Middle East where I have worked for companies like Estarta Solutions and Microsoft — Urgh, what was I rushing for?

The new me: By mid 2006, I realized that I needed to further my education. My original plan was to go to North America but it was a long flight and decided to break it into two journeys. Before I knew it, I was already enrolled in a very interesting M.Sc. program in Information Technology at the University of Stuttgart, Germany. During that time, I joined the Department of Distributed Systems as a research assistant, which is called Wissenschaftliche Hilfskräfte (WHK) in Germany, and worked with Stephan Schuhmann under the supervision of Prof. Kurt Rothermel (my M.Sc. Thesis supervisor too). During my stay in Germany, I worked for companies and research institutes such as Intel GmbHSAP AG, and HLRS. In 2008, I completed my degree and then decided to continue my journey to Canada. What a long layover!

Today’s me: I joined UBC in 2009 to peruse a PhD in ECE. I work with my kind and caring advisers Prof. Matei Ripeanu and Prof. Konstantin (Kosta) Beznosov. They usually let me wander around in many topics and disciplines, but they also carefully poke me when I am about to lose my way. And yeah, I am broadly interested in computer security (see LERSSE) and distributed systems (see NetSysLab), and currently focusing on Web 2.0 security and privacy — online social networks in particular. I always portray my life as a soothing, warm and sexy Jazz song (well, at least this is the way I perceive it). Thank you for reading this far! If you leave me a comment with a link to your page, I promise you I’ll go through it. Really.