Steer well clear of Mr. Bum Steer

A common frustration for me is that in my role as ‘facilitator’ and evangelist of the small pieces approach is that I really don’t have the chops to make serious mojo happen on my own — I have always depended on the kindness of techies. The frustrations usually take the form of some technical meltdown or glitch that is completely beyond my pathetic skills.

Latest example: I had the great pleasure of meeting Jon Beasley-Murray, a professor here at UBC, a few weeks back. He runs a couple of exceptional weblogs (Posthegemonic Musings and Latin America on Screen), I was thrilled when he contacted me and suggested a meeting. Turns out he’s doing some very cool stuff, has lots of ideas and is willing to experiment. Nice guy, too. I made some recommendations, among them the use of Technorati tags. So how has it turned out?

I’ve been a little frustrated, as over a week ago it seems they stopped indexing this page, just when I was in the middle of retrospectively adding tags to previous posts. I wrote several emails to their support, but no answer.

And I’ve been keeping essentially all my posts on the front page here until technorati spiders come and index it–even though that breaks my feed.

It’s all been a bit of a pain. Most of all, in that, in a fervor of thinking that this tag business was in fact a good thing (partly having been convinced of their worth by Brian Lamb of Abject Learning), I’d spent quite a while adding all those tags…

(I suspect that some algorithm had determined that so many new tags in such a short time meant that my blog was a spam blog; but 10 seconds looking at it should, one might have thought, have convinced a human observer otherwise…)

In further frustration, I cc-ed the last couple of my emails to David Sifry, technorati’s founder and CEO. He wrote back and said he’d look into the problem personally. Which is kind of cool, but it would be easier on him if his minions were more efficient about responding to support queires.

… I have no idea what’s going on.

I’ve completely wasted his time. I have no idea what to do or say. Why am I doing this crap again? What exactly am I facilitating?

This entry was posted in Abject Learning. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Steer well clear of Mr. Bum Steer

1. Pingback: Abject Learning » Blog Archive » Value from hysterics

2. Pingback: Small pieces more loosely joined… musings from the fog