Oiled up and ready to offend

As a follow-up to my other politically-themed post, thank you D’Arcy for stepping forward with some thoughtful and necessary discussion on the implications of the petroleum economy. (Some good comments there too.)

To be honest, most of my periodic blogger-funks have been triggered by some piece of news that further demonstrates the willful blindness we all have about our relationship to the planet and to each other. I’m embarrassed by how often I let brooding over these issues paralyse me. I also carry around a lot of guilt. I try to reduce the damage I am personally doing (busing to work, shivering through winter with the thermostat set masochistically low, happily paying more for organic, locally-produced food) but am ultimately as much part of the problem as anyone. There are many weeks when all I want to write are fierce condemnations of SUV drivers, of short-sighted development, of the machinations of petro-politics (which trump democracy every time), or to note the latest evidence of climate change in our increasingly hostile environment.

What usually (not always) stops me is social fear (some of my best friends drive SUVs), and a recognition of my own ignorance and culpability. But I gotta tell you, sometimes all this happy bloggy talk about social software seems totally absurd — like praising the amazing intercom system on this great new ship Titanic.

So I give the D-Man credit for at least breaking the stupid silence and airing the problem. It may not be my place, and I doubt very much it will make any difference, but I’m not going to pretend that everything is fine anymore. Unsubscribe and de-link at will.

6 Responses to Oiled up and ready to offend