Getting Things Done — DONE! Cross it off the list.

I showed up for work after holidays and I was already behind. Past two days I’ve worked like a fiend and it’s gotten worse.

This can’t go on. Either I learn how to navigate my life choices or I start making new choices. Full stop.

For the first time in my life, I’m casting about and exploring various time management strategies, and am getting dangerously close to giving one of the systems an honest try. It goes against every sensibility, long-held value, and temperamental tendency I have, but I simply have no choice unless I want to start my life over.

It ain’t going to be easy. Reading one of the very great many weblogs dedicated to the subject, I came across the following quiz — my responses interspersed in italics:

To find the very best solution, the problem you have must first be clear in your mind, and in the mind of anyone trying to help you.

A problem that is clearly defined, is 50% solved.

Ask yourself questions. For example, let’s say your office is cluttered. You might ask yourself . . .

1. How did my office get so cluttered?

Because I never put anything away.

2. Is anyone else, besides me, contributing to the clutter?

Nobody, except the people who send me stuff.

3. What are my systems for completing projects or going through the mail?

I sometimes exhibit a delayed reaction to panic attacks…

4. How much time do I currently invest in keeping the clutter out of my office?

Every six to twelve months I go nuts and throw everything out.

Once you come up with some answers to your questions, the solution should begin appearing. Keep this in mind when it comes to your organizing projects, and any other projects that you may have. If you do, you’re well on your way to being organized.

Whew! That’s a relief! Don’t see that solution just yet, but good to know it’s ‘50% solved’…

The new, improved, organized Brian Lamb. Watch for it, anywhere chupacabra and the Jersey Devil is found. Ask for it by name.

11 Responses to Getting Things Done — DONE! Cross it off the list.

1. Pingback: In full cowardly retreat…