Godspeed, Garbage Yard

Demolition Machine gets down to it House be gone...
Demolition machine at rest Garbage Yard be gone

In five years of weblogging, nothing I’ve written has provoked the range and intensity of reaction that my meditation on Garbage Yard did. The comments expressed disbelief, hilarity, confusion, outrage, and remorse. It prompted inquiry from Canada’s national broadcasting network. I received concerned telephone calls and gratifying personal support. I came to understand that Garbage Yard was something more important, more profound than I had previously believed. Garbage Yard was bigger than this blog by a long shot.

Last Friday, I awoke just past dawn, the room shaking. It was not an earthquake, alas, but the arrival of Demolition Machine. A few minutes of full-bore tread work reduced Garbage Yard to a compacted layer of detritus and soon the flattening of Garbage Yard House was underway. By noon, most of the debris had been cleared into a series of large container trucks. Garbage Yard was transformed into Construction Site in a single devastating blow.

Leaving me forever changed. Thank you Garbage Yard — you made me laugh, you made me cry, you made me think. You live on in my memories, and in my dreams.

4 Responses to Godspeed, Garbage Yard