Ignominy or triumph for the flatlanders?

I was too tired to write a proper summary of the mind-altering NMC Regional Conference on the flight back, and today is not the day either…

Because the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the only sports team that matters, improbably won their game last week, advancing to face the BC Lions in Van Rock City here today. The event brings out the excitement I felt as a kid cheering for my home province’s only pro sports team (one, sad to say, with an unparalleled history of losing). And the game becomes a beer-soaked reunion for the heaploads of prairie boys and girls who’ve found themselves here on the wet coast. Saskatchewan’s number one export is its people, and a cliche about the Roughriders is that they have home field advantage wherever they play.

It also marks a milestone of sorts, as it will be the first time my son Harry attends a major sporting event. Years of relentless mind-control tactics have passed the Lamb Boyz passion for the Green and White on to another generation (though he’s never even watched a football game on TV, he just likes yelling the chants and singing the songs). If the programming holds up, he’ll be cheering against his hometown Lions today.

We had the same CFL Western Final here two years ago. Needless to say it didn’t go well. We can only hope for better today… knowing evil may well prevail.

Update: Well, that kind of sucked. That may have been the worst Rider performance I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen them them lose scrimmages to themselves. And because I had the boy with me, I remained painfully sober through the whole ordeal. But if a lifetime of Green and White fandom has taught me anything, it’s to live with the agony of defeat. And the important, hanging-out-with-old-friends part was even better than I’d hoped…

7 Responses to Ignominy or triumph for the flatlanders?