I am the Canadian poster boy of high-tech attention deficit

So if memory serves (and mine is an unfaithful, insubordinate and much-abused servant indeed), a year or so back I was interviewed and photographed by CanWest media for a puff-piece on blogging. I think it came about as part of the run-up for Northern Voice 2006.

The photo was goofy, and I took an appropriate amount of ribbing, figuring I would just have to ride it out and all would eventually be forgotten.

So imagine my surprise when a friend mailed me a clipping that uses me as a laptop model for a wholly unrelated story, a story I have serious misgivings about. “You’d walk by other classes and see everybody playing solitaire,” complains one professor. If “everybody” in your class is playing solitaire during class you have bigger educational challenges than a surplus of technology.

I’ve been interviewed more than a dozen times by major media — newspaper, radio, and TV — and it is almost always an embarrassing, dispiriting experience. Then again, maybe that should tell me something. I’m reminded of Groucho Marx’s line in Duck Soup: “He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you… He really is an idiot.”

I guess I’m in some photo archive with the tag “laptop”, so I can expect more of this sort of thing… not that I have ever signed a release or given permission for perpetual use. Oh well, it could have been worse. I might have been the dangerous fanatic wielding a laptop on the front page of today’s paper, which makes the argument that terrorists will use city-wide wi-fi to bring us to our knees. Terrorists might also use our bus service to move about the city undetected — so I should be grateful that Vancouver’s transit system sucks, after all it’s for our own protection.

9 Responses to I am the Canadian poster boy of high-tech attention deficit