Small wins, but no victory… “The glory days… seem to be coming to an end”

“The master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us temporarily to beat him at his own game, but they will never allow us to bring about genuine change.” ~ Audre Lorde

Stephen Downes cites that passage in today’s Half an Hour post:

The implication is: so long as what we’re doing online (such as messing around with Google rankings) benefits them, they are happy to let it continue. But if it begins to threaten their lordship over things (’tearing down the house’) they take the tools away.

I have been thinking about this small saying a lot recently. About how much of our new empowerment is genuine, and how much exists only through the benevolence of the masters.

In some completely unrelated news, Pandora is now US-only. So long music genome project, it was nice to know ya…

And the masters have granted net radio a 60 day reprieve. And there is activity in Congress — but you don’t need a weatherman to know which way this wind is blowing…

http://www.savenetradio.org/

7 Responses to Small wins, but no victory… “The glory days… seem to be coming to an end”