Hi! I can’t come to the blog right now…

.flickr-photo { border: solid 2px #000000; }
.flickr-yourcomment { }
.flickr-frame { text-align: left; padding: 3px; }
.flickr-caption { font-size: 0.8em; margin-top: 0px; }

Lost in Transmission, originally uploaded by Lawrence Whittemore.

…as every spare moment I’ve had this week has been engaged in a futile battle against an automated spambot that is gradually but relentlessly overgrowing the work of thousands of UBC citizens on a wiki service we support. My usual tech support network here is mostly occupied with a higher stakes project (and NOBODY wants me messing with a server), and my energy is spent reverting vital pages, researching response strategies and cajoling anyone I can find to implement them, and offering endless apologies to increasingly frustrated users.

We briefly froze the creation of new accounts only to be bombarded by requests from concerned students who were unable to complete course assignments (ten emails to me during one ninety minute period away from my desk). It is gratifying to know the system is being used much more extensively than I thought, but less exciting to ponder what all these users are thinking about their work being replaced by obscene linkage every time they look away.

Missing in action: my presence in an online course I’m co-teaching; my sense of humour; my attention to every other thing I’m supposed to be doing; my ability to interact pleasantly with family, co-workers and friends. On its deathbed: my professional sense of purpose; my will to live.

I had hoped to spend some time this week preparing for my keynote (YIKES! Don’t look down!) at next week’s Open Education Conference. At this point, all I’m prepared to offer up are demented ravings about Texas Hold ‘Em, Viagra, and terrible things to do to animals.

6 Responses to Hi! I can’t come to the blog right now…