Freeform fundraising on now…

I’ll try to refrain from selling you on the greatest station in the history of radio, who are currently in the process of the most riotous fundraising drive going… I won’t explain yet again how they model the transition from old media to new media with unbearable anarchic grace. (The New York Times asserts “Instead of being a dinosaur medium eaten up by new technology, it managed to create an international niche brand.”) I will note, however, that this year I upped my own annual pledge past my comfort zone to express my gratitude for the station’s leadership in assembling the pending Free Sound Archive. I have been exploiting WFMU’s ample audio offerings for fun and non-profit for years, and I expect to plunder the new archive shamelessly.

In exchange for my donation, I’ll be getting a whack of wonderful DJ swag. And because I got in early, I also received “naming rights” to a piece of the station. Last year, I got a microphone. And while it was a real kick to hear Station Manager (and dream speaker) Ken Freedman use my mic, this year it feels even groovier to have snagged the rights to a genuine WFMU LP turntable.

As you can see, this year I used my naming powers to support a movement that is bigger than my own petty ego…

Later today, 5-8 PM EST, you can hear indie rock legends Yo La Tengo take your requests and play them live on the air…

This isn’t necessarily the best week to introduce yourself to the station, as they are fixated on getting pledges. But check out the archives, and maybe you’ll decide to pull out your credit card and support culture at its coolest…

2 Responses to Freeform fundraising on now…

1. Jim says:

That’s a very good omen for things to come, eduglu owns the underground airwaves. Such a moment suggests many a cool thing, but more than anything transports me back to that evening yet again. And having never really been involved in a “band” of any form before, it’s addictive qualities are beautifully apparent. In fact, I have spent my commutes listening to Johnny cash and memorizing all of the songs I can get my hands on, next year forewarned is forearmed!

2. Pingback: I want to support the human sensemakers