Happy open access day!

As it has for generations, Open Access Day at my house will involve insane travel stresses, endless hours of cooking and dishwashing, dangerously excessive alcohol consumption, the therapeutic airing of familial tensions, grievances and debates on the Creative Commons NC clause in shrieking tones, and falling asleep in front of the television watching an uncompetitive big league sporting match…

Thankfully, more mature people are organizing more wholesome fare at public locations, with a series of local events and multicast video extravaganzas.

Kudos to the UBC Library for hosting a series of free talks right upstairs from my office, in the Dodson Room in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre. Here are some of the amazing local initiatives we will be featuring:

11am – 12:20pm
Introduction to Open Access & cIRcle: UBC’s Information Repository
Joy Kirchner and Hilde Colenbrander (UBC Library)

1 pm – 1:40 pm
Using Wikipedia in the Classroom: an OA medium for research and student work
Dr. Jon Beasly-Murray (Department of French, Hispanic and Italian Studies, UBC)

2 pm – 2:40 pm
The Public Knowledge Project: providing open source software for OA publishing
Brian Owen (SFU Library)

3 pm – 3:40 pm
Open Medicine: a peer-reviewed, independent, open-access general medical journal
*Dr. Anita Palepu (Internal Medicine, UBC)

4 pm – 5 pm
OA Day Worldwide Webcast: Taxpayer Access to Publicly Funded Research
Keynote address: Sir Richard Roberts, Ph.D., F.R.S

Come one, come all, no registration is required. I’ll be dropping in later this afternoon, once I clean up all the broken glass and furniture from our own Open Access Day party, and finish sleeping off this turkey hangover…