UBC SSC is the new Facebook

Seriously, I’ve spent waaaaay more time looking at the UBC course schedule than creeping grade 12 prom photos  over the last couple of days. While I’m super excited for second year (especially since being tentatively accepted into the Integrated Science program yesterday!), I’m starting to realize that this whole life-after-first-year thing has its ups and downs.

The good part of being in second year: taking courses you’re actually interested in. With only four courses I really have to take this year (hooray for IntSci and designing your own curriculum!), there’s tons of room to explore and get me closer to my B.Ev.

The crappy part of being in second year: you get last choice when it comes to course selection. Which means most 100-level electives will be full by the time you get around to them. There’s four spots left in a FNH course I want to take, and with two weeks until I’m allowed to actually register, the prospects look grim.

Hope course selection is going well for all you first years. I’ve been getting tons of questions in the Academics section of my blog, and while I’ve been trying to answer them to the best of my ability, it’s important to remember that I am not an academic advisor. Everything on my blog is my own personal opinion and may not apply to you, so make sure you take all of my advice with a grain of salt. If you’re still struggling with course selection and degree planning though, the best non-grain-of-salt advice I can give you is to read the UBC Academic Calendar. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but it literally has every bit of information you could ever need regarding your degree. Also, if you’re a science student, the New Students section of the UBC Science website is an absolutely amazing resource. Happy course selection!

PS: For your amusement, here’s my bit of research humour for today. Yes, these are the things I find on the Internet as I’m waiting for my gel to run.

One response to “UBC SSC is the new Facebook