Packing my life into a suitcase (again)

We’re gonna need a bigger bag.

Has it really been a year already? It feels like only yesterday a wide-eyed, brace-faced, almost-first-year sat in this very spot, shoving all her possessions into massive suitcases (or avoiding packing by writing blog posts about it). I hate packing, but it seems like the more I do it, the easier it gets.

My most important packing tip: begin with the end in mind. Although it might seem like a long way off, remember that you’ll need to do something with all the stuff you’re bringing once the year is over. This is especially important if you’re coming from far away. Last year, I didn’t have a problem with getting all my stuff to Vancouver since my mom helped me bring everything over. Unfortunately, she wasn’t there to help me on my way back. That, coupled with the fact that I bought even more stuff over the course of the year, resulted in my scrambling to find summer storage once the summer hit. Plan ahead. Don’t overpack, and don’t stress if you forget something. You can always have it shipped out or borrow it from someone in your building. Everyone shares everything in rez – I’m pretty sure the main purpose of my house Facebook group was to facilitate the exchange of can openers and irons.

If you’re looking for some packing tips, check out this post I wrote last summer. And don’t stress – I promise you and your possessions will make it to UBC in one piece (even if you need to do a little jumping on your suitcase).

5 responses to “Packing my life into a suitcase (again)

1. Maprang from Bangkok, Thailand

Hi Campbell ; )

I’m struggling with packing right now cuz I’m the one from far far away land. lol

I’ll be at UBC for term 1. I do hope to meet you in person once I get there.

I’m at Gage in the North Tower. See you!

P.S. Begin with the end in mind<< That's the awesome method from 7 habits of highly effective people! lol

2. I can’t even express how much I love your blog posts! I love finding fellow UBC students, especially those that are in the same year as me, PLUS you’re VERY consistent with blogging! 🙂 Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on second year once September starts!

• Hey Liz, thank you so much! I just checked out a few posts on your blog, it’s really great as well. I noticed you’re in science and lived in Vanier – so weird that we’ve never run into each other! What specialization did you end up choosing?

• Thank you, thank you! 🙂 Yep! Second year Science student – Enviro Sciences, but still considering to switch into Microbi maybe, if Chem 233 doesn’t murder my GPA next year haha. How about you? UBC seems like such a small world with so many connections between people, but it IS pretty big! Who knows, we’ve probably seen each other around in Vanier!