Feed on
Posts

Wrap UP!!

It has been quite the experience working on this project these past few weeks. And this past Monday we presented a PowerPoint presentation to our clients. The presentation highlighted our findings from the survey as well as our implementation ideas.

Upon completion of the project I would say that compared to my CIVL 201 project, the project management process was very similar as they both required that each member make their best effort. And it was after completing the presentation just how clear it was that our group worked cooperatively to accomplish all of the tasks set upon us.

In the future, if our implementation ideas require further help, then our group could be assisting UBC Emergency Plan in any way we can.

This is the final post of our group’s blog, so I have posted a picture of our group prior to presenting this past monday. This has been quite the experience, and is something that our group will appreciate later on in our careers. I hope everyone had a good reading break as well!!

Introduction:

In this weeks Blog entry, I’ll be discussing some of our groups greatest successes as well as the biggest setbacks. Pushing past these is what’s been keeping our team planning strong for the UBC Emergency Plan!!

Successes:

In the past few weeks our group has successfully met with our clients, and set dates for meetings. We are currently working on a presentation that will go on next Monday. This will hopefully be added to the success column of this blog as well as the report on implementation.

Our greatest success was the creation of our groups survey; its purpose was to gain insight on the knowledge that UBC students already had. It is only from this information that we can develop a successful implementation for the UBC Emergency Planning group. We hope this implementation is also successful, but its up to the students to truly make awareness known, we can only provide them with the tools to do so.

Setbacks:

The most difficult part of the project up to this point was getting the survey out there. Using Facebook and our own internal networks we were able to send it our to a variety of students, but we did not reach as many students as we would have hoped in other departments and faculties.

I’m sure that with more time the survey results would be more varied, but since the time is closing in we have been working to compile the data so that our client may have a look see before we make our presentation.

Summary:

So, this weekend there’s quite a bit of report writing and presentation performing ahead of us, and then if our implementation is approved we may be involved in seeing that thru. But for that we’ll have to wait and see.

Until the next a final blog post this has been a look at the good and bad of UBC Emergency Planning.

Survey Success!!!

Introduction

We have now finalized the survey and the first week of sending it out is over. By internally distributing the survey via Facebook, we were able to reach students in a variety of faculties, but are still looking to distribute it a little more before we design an actual method of distributing the emergency information amongst the students at UBC.

Up here, I’ve posted a picture of what we have so far, but we hope to get much more responses from a greater variety of faculties in the coming week!

IMPLEMENTATION

For our implementation we have to develop some sort of way that would allow for our client to communicate the emergency information to all the students on campus as efficiently as possible. When we complete the report next weekend, we should have a more ideas as to how we will so this. Right now we are collecting data so that we know how much information the students already know, and maybe gain some suggestions from them.

If one of our implementation designs is approved we may be given the chance to actually put it into play later on in the coming weeks.

Summary

This coming Thursday we will be taking the survey down so that we could analyse the information, organize any comments, and then send it off to the client. After that we should be able to use the data to generate some kind of means of communication for the emergency information before our final meeting on the following Monday. We’ll be writing a report and presentation next weekend, so this week is still a little bit more about data collection.

The SURVEY!!

Introduction

After finishing a rough copy of the survey questions and having them looked at by our client (via email), a finalized copy has been established. In addition to this a disclaimer was also required for the survey, so group members collaborated to add this into the survey.

Note: To create the survey the website surveymonkey, and googledocs was used.

CRITERIA

Based on the results from the survey, we will be able to analyse the information collected to determine what sort of route must be takin in order to make the emergency information known. It should include the EMERGENY RESPONSE and PRESONAL PREPAREDNESS PROCEDURES.

The only way to critic the actual implementation would be to develop a system or idea that will make the UBC community more knowlegble. The survey that we have created is the begineeing of this. But to analyse the results it would probably be a good idea to survey students afterwards.

By comparing these results to the initial survey, we will know what effect it had on the community and if our goal is successful. If not, then it will give us an idea for the future reference as what not to do.

CONSTRAINTS

Negotiable/Non-Negotiable

At this point in the project no real constraints have been found. Whatever ideas our TEAM can come up with should be run by our client, but for the most part we have no limits since the project has not yet been implemented. Once an idea is developed, it may take some costs to take it further, or more resourses, but that is something that should not be dealt with until the finalization of our project.

I may add to this once the project is underway!!

Summary

Now that the survey is ready, and awaiting approval, we will be distributing it within the week.

Further plans for the project include brainstorming for implementation ideas, and developing a presentation for our client using the results we’ve come up with.

Currently the test survey is being sent out to a few students in our classes, but may be submitted to the whole of UBC at a later date (NEXT WEEK!!)

Timeline

Proposed Project Timeline (January 26, 2012)

Thursday, January 26:

• Draft of Survey Questions

Friday, January 27:

• Distribute sample survey questions to the sample group (second year civil students)

Monday, January 30:

• End of test sample surveys.
  • Group meeting to analyse data.
  • Rewrite survey questions if needed.
  • Send gathered data to Client to be reviewed.
  • If the survey questions and resulting data is sufficient, begin the distribution process to a larger audience.

Thursday, February 2:

• End of survey period.
  • Group meeting to analyse data (morning).
  • Meet with Client to review results of survey.
  • Begin creating a implementation plan.
  • Begin planning a presentation to UBC Management.

Week of February 6: Presentation to UBC Management

Week of February 13: Implementation of Phase Three (Communication Plan)

Emergency 101

Introduction

This week we met with our client (Calvin Cheung), to discuss the project at hand, and gain some guidelines that we will be using in the next few weeks to get the project moving.

Since this project is all about the distribution of information about emergencyprocedures, several members of our team can be seen in the photo above presenting different kinds of emergency systems.

At the top we have Prab and Philippe displaying the fire alarm system, and on the bottom right we have Sim preparing to access a fire extinguisher. On the bottom left we got Joshua showing the correct position to be in when an earthquake hits.

ORGANIZATION

The organization that we are working with is the UBC Risk Management Services, they are responsible for the maintenance and distribution of any information or procedures relating to emergencies. Some examples of emergencies that they cover include:

Any information relating to these situations can be found at their website (http://emergency.ubc.ca).

COMMUNITY

The community served by the UBC Risk Management team is the students, faculty, and visitors of UBC campus. Their goal is to make the information about emergency procedures known by everyone thereby creating a campus that will be able to minimize any possible risks in the future.

Summary

After this weeks meeting we have begun preparation for phase of the project by coming up with questions which will later be used to survey the UBC community on their current knowledge of emergency procedures. Following this we came up with a general timeline for the next few weeks, as well as a deadline which we will aim to beat.

The next step is to finalize the survey questions and distribute them, then we can use the information to finish phase 1 and move onto phase 2.

For the UBC Emergency Planning team, that’s all for this week!

The UBC Emergency Plan (Team)

Introduction:

For the first Blog entry I would like to take the opportunity to introduce THE TEAM that will be taking on the task that is the UBC Emergency Plan!

The Team:

Starting from the left and making our way over and then down, we will be each introducing ourselves, with a few interesting facts:

1. Hi, my name is Prab Kahlon. I choose civil engineering because I like building things. If I weren’t in engineering I would have done business or law. Actually not too sure what I have would done than engineering. I call surrey as home. I don’t like surprises in my ice cream so, I go with chocolate and vanilla even though it seems bit too boring.my favorite shows are American choppers and myth busters. I can’t decide what movie like the most.
  2. Hi, my name is Christina Noël! I was born and raised in Kamloops, BC. I chose to pursue civil engineering because of my love for, success with, and experiences building Popsicle stick bridges. If I couldn’t be in engineering, I would want to be working towards a calculus degree, and taking as many history electives as possible. My favorite flavor of ice cream is Apple Pie and my favorite movie is ‘How to Train Your Dragon’.
  3. Hi, I’m Philippe Rochon, I was born in Toronto, grew up in Calgary and then moved to Vancouver for high school. I choose Civil engineering because it just felt like the right choice. I’m very indecisive so I thought I would just pick civil and see how it goes! If I weren’t in engineering I would probably try going into law or something to do with movies since I like movies and law seems interesting to me. I like ice cream a lot it’s hard to choose a favorite so I’ll say cookie dough or peanut butter, my favorite TV show right now is ‘Moonlighting,’ and my favorite movie is ‘The Game.’
  4. Hi, my name is Sim Toor and I call City of Langley home. I chose civil engineering because of a fascination I have with building. If I weren’t in engineering I would probably end up getting a degree in Math while trying to start up a board game company up with a friend. If you ever have the chance to buy me ice cream, chocolate fudge is the way to go. My favorite movie definitely has to be The Lion King.
  5. Hi, my name is Richie Chin. I’m from Brunei, a small country in South East Asia. I chose Civil because I like big things. Ranging from skyscrapers to crazy long bridge, it is amazing that all these are made by us human and I just want to be part of it. I guess if I could not be in Engineering, I would pursue my dream as a national badminton player or continue to be a teacher in my hometown. Favorite ice cream is raspberry ice cream and favorite movie is Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011.
  6. Hi, my name is Joshua Marc Baylis, I chose civil engineering because I have always been very interested in structures and I get excited watching Mega Structures (TV show). I enjoy physics and I love problem solving and designing. If I were not able to be an engineer I would probably work construction maybe become a contractor or go into business. My favorite Movie(s) are Star Wars!! I call Armstrong B.C. home when I am not studying at UBC. I love brownie/fudge/chocolate ice cream!!

Summary:

Now that we have all been properly introduced and a mode of communication has been established, we can begin the project. This week our plans include meeting with the client, and establishing some kind of base knowledge on the project, and then we’re OFF!

You can chronicle your CSL team’s weekly accomplishments as you move toward the successful completion of your project.