Folsom Custom Skis: An Expanding Company

Recently, an old ski coach of mine, Ryan Prentice, bought into the slowly expanding market of custom built skis.  As part owner of Folsom Custom Skis, based in Denver, Colorado, Ryan works alongside three other members who create fully custom skis based on consumer preferences.  Being a small business, Folsom cannot compete with the number of products other companies like K2 and Rossignol produce.  In fact, compared to the thousands of skis these companies produce, Folsom is only forecasting on producing between 180 and 250 skis this year.  However, as Mike McCabe, another of the part owners, says “For us, it’s about brand recognition and quality.” I personally own a pair of these skis and completely agree with this statement.  The amount of time that is put into each and every ski is unlike any other company and allows Folsom to build a ski that will perform better and last a lot longer.  Adding to this that the skis are custom built for each specific customer puts Folsom in a category of its own.

In the next few years, Ryan plans to increase the production of his company.  He eventually plans on building 1,000 skis per year on average.  I agree with Ryan in that expanding production by a small amount will help increase profits for the company; however, the key is in the uniqueness of the product.  If the company expands too much, their brand positioning and quality that they value will diminish.  Folsom builds a custom ski that is extremely reliable and durable.  I trust Ryan will do what is best for the company and continue to make me skis to shred all over the mountain.
Sources:
Information obtained through an informal interview with Ryan Prentice of Folsom Custom Skis