Transit’s Effect on Business in British Columbia

One thing I can say I am proud of in Vancouver is the city’s outstanding transit system, TransLink. When compared with other cities that I have been to across North America, Vancouver’s is definitely one of the best. However, many people in the lower mainland, including many businesses believe that the government should provide more funding for the system.

Although the government just recently developed the Canada Line, which directly connects downtown Vancouver with Richmond, people still want more. The business who support this, especially businesses in housing development, have come to appreciate transit as many consumers buy property nowadays based on how easily accessible it is by transit. The expansion in the last couple of years has caused an enormous increase in property sales in the suburban areas of the lower mainland.

The problem is not that the government does not want to increase funding for the system, its that they do not have enough money to do so. From the Olympics, the recent development of the Canada Line, and several other factors, provincial taxes are already inflated. The only proposed solutions people have thought up are to increase property taxes or increase fare charges, solutions the government is against.

My take on this issue is that an increase in funding for TransLink would be beneficial to many people, businesses and the environment. However, due to the governments current financial position, I do not think it is wise to begin putting money into transit at this time. In the future, I do expect that they will consider a large improvement to compensate for BC’s growing population.

Sources:

Translink Skytrain Picture

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/business-groups-push-for-improved-transit-funding/article4552888/#