Module 1 Weblog – Edenia Lai

Hare states that indigenous knowledge represents the local and culturally specific knowledge of a people that’s dynamic and adapts over time and place (2011). Hare’s statement really resonated with me, because it tells me personally that indigenous communities can find spaces (and uses) for technology that’s not only respectful of cultural tradition, but thoughtful and meaningful to the educational needs of its people.

On this note, the answer to whether cyberspace is culturally neutral is a big one, mainly because the question continues to draw debate and resistance. Ironically however, we haven’t talked yet about concerns around its implementation. For example, is it even feasible to bring high speed internet to rural indigenous communities if there isn’t consensus around its use? I bring this concern forward because the cost of ICT implementation is as one can anticipate, very costly to establish in rural communities. In this respect, I wondered about rural indigenous communities that have benefited from ICT implementation. These stories are important, because they highlight the advantages that technology can bring to indigenous communities as well as the role it can have in strengthening the relationships we have with indigenous peoples living in rural areas.

As I researched this topic, I came across several journal articles/websites of interest speaking to the impact that technology has in health promotion/education and service delivery (care) in indigenous communities. I’m still debating on a topic for my research paper, however at the moment I’m quite interested in continuing my understanding and exploration of technology as it pertains to these two areas.

First Nations Health Authority
What is eHealth? (2017). Retrieved from http://www.fnha.ca/what-we-do/ehealth

Described as the first province wide health authority of its kind in Canada. In 2013, the FNHA assumed responsibility for all programs and services previously controlled by Health Canada’s First Nations Inuit Health Branch Pacific Region. The vision of the FNHA is to “transform the health and well-being of BC’s First Nations and Aboriginal people by dramatically changing healthcare for the better”. Technology is at the center of the authority’s vision in redesigning the health service delivery model that’s currently supporting indigenous communities across BC.

Tripartite Committee on First Nations Health Annual Report
Together in Wellness – 2015-16 Tripartite Committee on First Nations Health Annual Report. (Apr 5, 2017). Retrieved from http://www.fnha.ca/Documents/2015-2016-Together-In-Wellness.pdf

The document highlights changes and improvements made to the delivery of health services serving First Nations and Aboriginal people’s in the province of British Columbia. Specifically, the implementation of telehealth and electronic health records have been identified as a key priority in addressing barriers to health care access and delivery in rural Aboriginal communities.

Impact of ICT on Social Capital in Aboriginal Communities in Canada
Mignone, J., & Henley, H. (2009). Impact of information and communication technology on social capital in aboriginal communities in canada. Journal of Information, Information Technology, and Organizations, 4, 127.

This journal article highlights the impact of ICT on social capital in First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities. Interestingly so, social capital has become a notion for measuring the impacts of ICT in communities (creating greater access to essential services such as education, training and health care in indigenous communities).

Aboriginal communities urged to develop own solutions to youth suicide (CBC article)
Aboriginal communities urged to develop own solutions to youth suicide. (Apr 23, 2007). Retrieved from http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/aboriginal-communities-urged-to-develop-own-solutions-to-youth-suicide-1.650383

The CBC article speaks to the lack of health care services available in remote aboriginal communities to prevent youth suicide. The article suggest that part of the problems stems from the differences between traditional and western approaches to healthcare.

First Nations Technology Council
About Us. (2017). Retrieved from http://www.technologycouncil.ca/about-us/our-mandates

I stumbled across the First Nations Technology Council and was fascinated by their mission. In summary, the FNTC works to build an awareness of what it considers to be a critical need of technologies in First Nations communities. Acting as a convener between government, industry, academic and First Nations communities, the FNTC focuses on advocating for the promotion of technology in four main areas (digital skills development, connectivity, information management and technical services and support). After viewing the site, I wondered if there were opportunities for the FNTC to be involved in the conversation around health service delivery in indigenous communities