The 2016W1 (Sep-Dec 2016) CPSC 320 site has been archived to: http://blogs.ubc.ca/cpsc3202016w1/.
The 2016W2 (Jan-Apr 2017) site is at http://blogs.ubc.ca/cpsc3202016w2/.
Today we continue our work on divide-and-conquer.
- The last blank and solved versions of the quizzes have been posted (or will pop up by classtime).
- For Wednesday’s class, no new reading. Instead, review for the exam! However, if you want to get ahead, please read section 6.1 on the unbelievably awesome idea of memoization. (Trade polynomial memory for exponential speedup!)
- The midterm exam is coming soon (20 October). Check out our scheduling and room assignment information! Also, if you’re curious about little things like “am I allowed any notes in the exam”, you should really read the syllabus.
- Unwind from the midterm with PageRank For Real with Susanne Fri 21 Oct 5-6PM near our lecture room (Swing 105); bonus points available!
Today we continue working on a proof that our clustering algorithm is correct.
- No class or tutorials on Monday!
- BUT, go to your Tuesday and Wednesday tutorials for the next quiz! (Monday tutorial students’ quiz will be on the 17th.)
- For Wednesday’s class, please read 5.1 in the textbook. No pre-class quiz, however.
- Midterm review session with Susanne and Raunak on Fri 14 Oct 5-6PM in our usual room (Swing 121)
- PageRank For Real with Susanne Fri 21 Oct 5-6PM near our lecture room (Swing 105); bonus points available!
We are in the process of negotiating a new room for lecture. If and when it goes through, we’ll move everyone in the waitlist as of today (12 people) into the class. However, we’re also blocking further registration. This is because (1) with the waitlist move, we’ll already have expanded the course twice and more registration will stretch us thin, (2) we’re already solidly into the course at this time, and (3) this will allow both we (the course staff) and students to resolve the current uncertainty about who’s in the class sooner.
I’ll update students in the class and waitlist with Piazza announcements as more information comes in but wanted the reason for shutting the waitlist down to be public!
Thanks to many people in the department for arranging the room swap and managing the waitlist!