Image

My Proudest Accomplishment

In 2012, I competed at the International Va’a Federation (IVF) World Outrigger Sprints in Calgary, AB. I competed in several events, including the V1 (which is a single seat outrigger) U19 women’s 500m sprint. After several heats, the final race was between four Māori women from New Zealand, one Australian, another Canadian, and myself. After two minutes and forty-eight seconds, Kataraina Brown from New Zealand crossed the finish line, Kamilla Brown, also from New Zealand, crossed three seconds later, and I crossed one second after her, becoming the first Canadian junior to medal at IVF World Outrigger Sprints, ever. The World Sprints are held every second year, so in 2010 two Tahitian women and one New Zealand woman were on the podium, in 2008 it was again two Tahitians and one New Zealander. Even as far back as 1988, a Tahitian, a New Zealander, and a Hawaiian were on the podium.

This history of the IVF World Sprints highlights the cultural roots of outrigger racing. As early as 2,000 BCE the Polynesian people were using outrigger canoes, from then onwards the tradition grew. Modern outrigger racing was developed in Tahiti and Hawaii, and holds cultural ties to the Indigenous people of those areas.

My achievement at the World Sprints is my proudest accomplishment to date. I believe that my bronze medal demonstrates the maximum potential my passion and commitment to excellence can reach. Additionally, my experience racing taught me about the history and values associated with outrigger. I came to understand the connection it has to the ocean and land, to fishing and food collection, to traditional ceremonies, and to Indigenous groups. Being able to participate in the IVF Sprints with people whose ancestors had paddled outriggers for thousands of years was a powerful experience. My awareness of global Indigenous culture was expanded and motivated me to continue educating myself about the historical roots of my day-to-day activities.