Each October in the US is National Medical Librarians Month. See the Medical Library Association’s web site for ideas to promote your library and download a poster: This year’s theme is:”Critical Knowledge for Challenging Times.”
- To recognize Medical Librarians Month, and the critical resources and services you provide to your institution
- MLA is offering a $1500 travel scholarship to Austin, Texas for the 2015 MLA Conference for travel costs including: flight, hotel, and per diem. Write a brief article about how you, as a librarian, have made a difference by answering one or more of these questions:
1) Have you helped save a life? Have you found a solution to a problem others had searched for with no luck? Have you performed outreach and changed lives? Reached a new user population that your library had never reached before? Have you helped the family of a patient through the fear of uncertainty?
2) Have you proven your worth to an administrator or told someone how important libraries are, changing his or her behavior?
3) Have you explored new or non-traditional roles, expanding the realm of what a librarian does?
Tell us your story! We will accept entries until October 31, 2014 and all stories will be published on Dragonfly.
Please send to email@example.com with the subject line, “Medical Librarians Month.” Good luck!
Dean Giustini, MLS, MEd
UBC Biomedical Branch Librarian
CHLA/ABSC Public Relations Director
Diamond Health Care Centre, VGH
2775 Laurel Street, Vancouver BC