Education

PhD, University of British Columbia

I received my Doctorate of Philosophy in Psychology in April 1992. My dissertation was entitled “Premenstrual Syndrome in Context.” My Ph.D. work was completed under the supervision of Dr. Tannis MacBeth. During my PhD program, I specialized in the areas of child and adult development, with a particular focus on gender psychology and feminist theories. I also minored in statistical methods and consulted on many undergraduate and graduate research projects. In addition, I took courses in the Counselling Psychology and Social Work departments.

Master of Arts, University of British Columbia

I received my degree in May 1985. My thesis was entitled, “Actual and Perceived Mood Fluctuations: A comparison of menstrual, weekday, and lunar cycles.” My M.A. thesis work was completed under the supervision of Dr. Tannis MacBeth. During my M.A. Program, I specialized in developmental and physiological psychology, biopsychology, and human physiology and endocrinology.

Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia

I received my B.A. in psychology in May, 1981.

About

Dr. Jessica Motherwell McFarlane is a professional education consultant on gender, anti-oppression and social justice issues and a research associate at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. She is also the developer and director of the Life Outside the Box program that uses visual narratives as a way to SEE conflict and injustice from new perspectives. Jessica facilitates groups and schools needing to have complex — and sometimes emotionally painful — conversations. She offers workshops to at-risk children, youth, and adults on: Truth and Reconciliation, transforming bullying situations, and rehearsing best practices for self-care, inclusivity, and kindness.