Institutional Service to the JIBC

Visually translating the Reclaiming Power and Place: The National Inquiry’s Final Report Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, Chapter 2. Justice Institute of British Columbia, March 4, 2020.

International Women’s Day 2017 Celebration. For the second consecutive year, I guided our students in helping the JIBC community appreciate the women heroes in their lives. I planned, prepared materials and helped our first year students install a communal mural upon which all members and visitors of the JIBC were encouraged to add posts and photos of their women heroes. March 2017

Capstone supervisor for 4th year student, Robyn Walden. Her capstone project was entitled Life Outside the Box: Do comic book drawings reveal themes of grit, self- control, and character?

International Women’s Day 2016 Celebration. An invitation to the JIBC community to appreciate the women heroes in their lives. I planned, prepared materials and helped our first year students install a communal mural upon which all members and visitors of the JIBC were encouraged to add posts and photos of their women heroes. March 2016

Faculty development workshop co-presenter. Question Storming: Teaching the Question Formulation Technique: “The problem with penguins in the fridge.” I co-presented this workshop with Marion Craig, Sgt. Ret’d. Justice Institute of British Columbia. November 24, 2015.

Grant writing. I wrote two grant proposals for the JIBC both of which were successful and brought in funding totalling $200,000.

Faculty development workshop presenter. Using Evernote for Education. A faculty development workshop. Justice Institute of British Columbia. June 2014.

About

Dr. Jessica Motherwell McFarlane is a professional education consultant on gender, anti-oppression and social justice issues and a research associate at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. She is also the developer and director of the Life Outside the Box program that uses visual narratives as a way to SEE conflict and injustice from new perspectives. Jessica facilitates groups and schools needing to have complex — and sometimes emotionally painful — conversations. She offers workshops to at-risk children, youth, and adults on: Truth and Reconciliation, transforming bullying situations, and rehearsing best practices for self-care, inclusivity, and kindness.