John P Egan's FCP E-Portfolio

Journals

without comments

Bonne année, gong hay fat choy, Happy New Year–2012 and year of the Dragon!

I’ve been ruminating on which journals might be appropriate for my SoTL project. Here’s my current ranking and rationale for each:

1. JOLT – Journal of Online Teaching and Learning: MERLOT is one of the major American digital repository; JOLT is their journal. It’s online (seems appropriate, since I teach online), has a lot of currency, and a reliable and structured review process. Impact prospects: high.
  2. IRRODL – The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning: this is another high profile international online learning journal based at Alberta’s Athabasca U. They publish whenever they have a quote of research articles (n=6) justifying a new issue. Impact propsects: high
  3. EuroDOL – European Journal of Open and Distance Learning: One of the longest publishing journals on online learning (nearly 15 years), this is the most prestiguous non-US online learning journal.  Impact prospects: high.
  4. EJEL – Electronic Journal of E-Learning: This is the primary online learning journal in the UK; for readers looking for non-US based sources–particularly at universities that follow the British model for post-graduate study–this is a primary journal. Impact prospects: medium.
  5. CJLT – The Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology: O Canada, revue de nos colleagues! I feel a pull towards this journal as a Canadian. Impact propsects: low. 🙁

I reserve the right for this to change over time, of course. Perhaps now I best move towards BREB, collecting data and analyzing results?

Written by John P Egan

January 23rd, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Posted in Uncategorized