Memorandum: Writing With You Attitude – Jason Smith

To: Evan Crisp, UBC Student

From: Jason Smith, ENGL 301 Student

Date: Nov 22, 2019

Subject: Tips to Communicate Effectively with Email

Hey Evan,

I am writing to inform you that I have reviewed your email referring to requesting a spot in a max-capacity English class at UBC. Your email does state the objective of what you are trying to achieve, however it can use a few improvements which I have listed below.

• Your subject is lacking a detailed and informative overview (No subject at all to be specific)
  • Avoid using abbreviations and slang, present a more formal tone that is professional
  • Add any additional information that may help your professor identify you as a student, such as a student number
  • Always proof read your emails and make sure that the punctuation and grammar is correct, with the lack of effort shown in the email your professor may be more unlikely to put the effort into helping you get into the course
  • Revise your introduction with a more formal approach
    • ie: “Dear Professor <Name>,”
  • End the email with an appropriate conclusion:
    • ie: “Best Regards”, “Thank You”
  • The statement regarding your trip to Mexico sounds quite passive aggressive, avoid putting personal information like this.

Revising your email and/or any future emails with these recommendations will dramatically assist you in creating a formal and coherent email. Utilizing these tips won’t just help you in getting into a school course, but will assist you with many aspects in your professional life and career. If you have any questions regarding these tips, please feel free to reach out to me at jsmith@alumni.ubc.ca