3.1 Business Letters – Ranjit Dhaliwal

Letter # 1: Complaint to A & B Tool Rentals Ltd

Ranjit Dhaliwal

#214 – 941 West Broadway

Vancouver, B.C

V5T 1X9

November 27, 2019

Customer Service Department

A & B Tool Rental

8695 Barnard St

Vancouver, B.C

V6P 5G6

Attention: Refunds & Returns

Dear Management

First off, I would like to begin this letter by acknowledging that I have been a regular customer of your store for the last 7 years. During this time, I have always been pleased with the variety of tools available for rent along with the competitive prices you provide. However, on November 16, 2019 I rented an 80lb electric jack hammer from your location and I wasn’t happy with the outcome.

I originally planned on renting the tool for only 4 hours since it was a small job but I had difficulty loading and unloading the tool off my truck. Since I have a bad back I had to wait for my friend to come and help me unload it which cost me precious time. Furthermore, I had a difficult time figuring out how to use the tool and spent almost 2 hours learning to operate it. In the end I had to rent it for the entire day because it took me longer than 4 hours and I felt frustrated with the fact that nobody told me how heavy it would be and how difficult it was to operate.

As a result, I would like to only pay for 4 hours and have the remaining amount refunded to me. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated and I will await your response. You can reach me through telephone at 604-555-6868 or via email at Ranj.dhaliwal@alumni.ubc.ca.

Regards,

Ranjit Dhaliwal

Letter #2: Bad News Letter

Customer Service Department

A & B Tool Rental

8695 Barnard St

Vancouver, B.C

V6P 5G6

November 27, 2019

Ranjit Dhaliwal

#214 – 941 West Broadway

Vancouver, B.C

V5T 1X9

Dear Ranjit,

Thank you for reaching out to us, we appreciate the kind words and your continued loyalty to A & B Tools. We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience with your most recent tool rental from our store. We fully understand that some of the tools that we rent can be difficult to operate and maneuver. The jack hammer you rented on November 16, 2019 is definitely one of them.

Unfortunately, our staff are only able to provide general operating instructions for the tools we rent and we’re not able to provide any on-site help with operating machinery that is rented from us. Therefore, we expect that the people who rent our tools to either have the required skill to operate the tools or they have arranged for someone who does. As a result, unfortunately we are unable to help accommodate you in this matter.

However, we would like to offer you some recommendations on how you can enhance your experience in renting tools from us. In regards to the weight of any tools rented from us, please ask one of our staff if you need a hand to load the tool onto your truck. Also, if you don’t have a way to unload the tool when you get home, you can always try our tool delivery service. We can drop off and pick-up rented tools anywhere in the Lower Mainland for a small charge. As a token of appreciation for your continued business, I have attached a 25% off coupon to try our tool delivery service if you ever need it. Please see the coupon attached to this letter.

Thank you again for contacting our department, we appreciate your continued loyalty to A and B Tools and we hope we can continue to provide you excellent service in the future.

Sincerely Yours,

Ranjit Dhaliwal

Customer Service Representative

Enclosure: 25% off coupon