Mark Bullen

In 2014 I retired from the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) where I worked as the Education Specialist for eLearning. The Commonwealth of Learning is an intergovernmental organization, with headquarters in Vancouver, that assists developing Commonwealth countries to improve their educational systems by using open and flexible distance learning approaches. Before joining COL in October of 2012 I spent seven years at the BC Institute of Technology (BCIT) as Dean and Associate Dean of the Learning & Teaching Centre.

From 1982 to 2005 I worked at the University of British Columbia where I was a media producer, instructional designer and project manager before serving as Associate and Acting Director of the Distance Education & Technology department and Director of the Centre for Managing & Planning E-Learning (MAPLE), a research centre that investigated institutional planning and management issues, policy, and social and educational impacts of e-learning.

I have extensive international consulting experience related to online course development and the planning and management of e-learning. I have taught workshops on developing and delivering online instruction and the planning and management of e-learning in Australia, Mexico, Malaysia, Taiwan, Bhutan, Croatia and Canada and I have been a consultant on distance education projects in Mongolia, Indonesia and Bhutan.

I was centrally involved in the development of the MET. In addition to teaching this course, I co-developed and taught the original Foundations of Educational Technology (ETEC 511). From 1997 to 2002 I was on the development and teaching team for the Postgraduate Certificate in Technology-based Distributed Learning.

In addition to the many years I have spent working in distance education and educational technology, from 1976 to 1980 I worked at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation as a television news journalist.

I have a Ph.D. in Adult Education (1997), a Masters degree in Educational Psychology (1989) and a B.Ed. (1982) from the University of British Columbia.

Contact Information

mark.bullen@ubc.ca