Tatiana Bourlova

TatianaBourlovaIn the UBC MET program I teach ETEC 520, Planning and Managing Technologies in Higher Education, and ETEC 565A, Learning Technologies: Selection, Design and Application. I am also practicing and experimenting with instructional technologies independently.

I started working in the area of distance education and technology more than 10 years ago, at the Distance Education and Technology department at UBC (now the Centre for Teaching, Learning & Technology) with the research group: Centre for Managing and Planning Learning Environments (MAPLE). As one of the researchers at MAPLE I examined different aspects of the impacts of e-learning on university infrastructure and student life, in connection with the institutional planning strategies, and the issues of higher education accessibility and affordability.

I have presented the research findings at conferences and workshops in Canada (University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Durham College, Oshawa, May 2004; The Society for College and University Planning, Toronto, July, 2004; Canadian Association for Distance Education, Toronto, June, 2004); in the United States (Western Cooperative for Educational Telecommunications, November, 2004, San Antonio) and People’s Republic of China (International Conference on Web-based Learning, City University of Hong Kong, August, 2005, Hong Kong). I have a Ph.D (1997) in Sociology from the Ural State University, where in 1998 I had started teaching and conducting research specializing in Sociology of Knowledge, Gender and Globalization, Research techniques, Teaching methods and Sociolinguistics. My current academic interests are impact analysis and modeling, critical studies in technology and social impacts of technological solutions, instructional design and online educational experiences.

Contact Information

tatiana dot bourlova “at” ubc dot ca