My Research Focus.

After reflecting on the readings from Module 1 I have found myself grappling with where to focus my research for the duration of this term. I have so many questions; I am interested in the concept of “land” vs. “ether” and the potential for technology to connect aboriginal students physically to their roots. I’m also curious about programs that attempt to connect youth with ancestry via digital storytelling. But after much deliberation, I have determined to consider a question that continues to emerge as I work through the readings and videos, and something that is of great interest to me both as a MET student and as a teacher of at-risk youth: “Is 21st Century Learning Theory incongruous with aboriginal culture?” More specifically, I am curious if our new pedagogical model genuinely reflects aboriginal culture, traditions, and views of learning, and if not, how best can it be revised to successfully consider and honour those unique beliefs and values?
I think the most logical place to begin is to continue working through the course readings and others that discuss aboriginal culture and beliefs around knowledge and knowing, and also to begin to examine the 21st Century Learning Initiative released by the Canada Council on Learning as well as the Aboriginal Learning Knowledge Centre site (also contained with the CCL site). I’m sure I am about to embark on a very educational journey…I will post my findings as I go!

This entry was posted in Connection to Research Topic on by .

About smyers

Hi Everyone, I am a high school alternate school teacher living in Vancouver, BC. I have been teaching for 15 years, though I am not sure where all that time has gone. I love working with teenagers, and am grateful that I have the opportunity to share my love of learning with young people every day. It's a pretty sweet gig!