Grassroots Resources ~ Aboriginal Initiatives

Module #2 – Post #3

In an attempt to better understand educational resource available online by Aboriginal people, for Aboriginal people, I have been searching for programming, projects and networking sites targeting Aboriginal communities. Week #6 Reading got me thinking…

I wanted to look for specific characteristics within these resources, such as:

• exclusivity vs. inclusivity – specifically reflecting on our discussion from week #6 regarding cultural boundaries and cultural preservation
  • type of media and the accessibility, skill requirements and targets (ie. oral, text based, visual, interactive etc…)
  • Way culture is incorporated into the media, or delivery of resources/services
  • How the objectives seek to integrate culture or not at all
  • Sources of funding, partnerships or Advisory bodies (Aboriginal vs. non-aboriginal and the kind of hierarchy that is present within that structure)

Learning Communities Project: Alberta Region (learning-communities.ca)

The objective of this project is to bring access and awareness of learning opportunities to Aboriginal communities both rural and urban in Alberta, to improve access, opportunities and overall success for Aboriginal people. The Project works with stakeholders including tribal bands, councils, and institutions such as e-learning Alberta. The Project attempts to use existing resources, but act as a liaison to connect people to resources and services. Something that stood out was that they attempted to utilize a community-grown framework, which sounds grassroots and community initiated, however there was not further elaboration on this concept. In addition, the learning opportunities were not specific to Aborginal people, for example, there were learning opportunities tabs, and some included industry sectors (oil and gas, the trades, human services etc. and a single table that read “Aboriginal Program and Services.” Nothing that noted how Aboriginal programs are of value, the importance of transferring cultural traditions, customs or knowledge. I guess I assumed there would be more information targeted towards Aboriginal communities and ways that members are contributing or able to participate using their skills and knowledge.

I also noticed that the site was 100% text-based, with many external links and limited details; this website fit well within the Western mold and any person could access it and find educational resources.

I wanted to explore this for one of my weblogs because our discussion this week really made me think about the kinds of boundaries exist within the www. In addition, how important it is to be clear with the mandate and mission of organizations and projects. There is nothing wrong with fostering dialogue and awareness to specific communities of people, acknowledging differences and collaboration.

1 thought on “Grassroots Resources ~ Aboriginal Initiatives

1. verenanz

Hi Erin- I have finally had the chance to skim through the blog. I really appreciated this post. 2 reasons: 1) I agree this weeks readings got me thinking too…and 2) great point about aboriginal created content and credible resources. Thanks! Looking forward to learning more from you.
    Verena 🙂