Welcome to ETEC522, please introduce yourself!

Hi all. Welcome to ETEC 522.

This is a place for introductions and getting started.

I’m David Porter (davidp), a co-instructor for this course. You can reach me by email at –> dporter at bccampus.ca

Porter1_bw.jpg

Please add your own introduction. Include any web sites or bio info that you like. Add a photo.  Give us your coordinates for any direct follow up by email.

Tell us your interest and/or experience with the theme of this course, and expectations you have for it. We’re really looking forward to navigating the venture terrain with you.

As a convention for posts in this module, please use these tags:  

introductions, M1, your last name.  

You’ll begin to see our tag cloud for this course grow and segment as we add posts and additional tags.

d.

1 David Wees { 09.02.08 at 12:02 pm }

Hi all,

My name is David Wees. I’m a BC native recently transplanted to Thailand for a short tour of duty in an international school. I’m an amateur web designer and programmer, some of my work is available to see at http://www.unitorganizer.com/myblog.

I’m taking this course because I am interested in E-learning, and need to come up to speed with industry standards. I develop snippets of code (known as modules) for a CMS called Drupal and have some grand visions for modules that could be useful in the education sector. Of course, I’m interested in earning money from my work, and I hope this course will give me some useful tips.

My email address is davidwees AT gmail DOT com.

2 Laura Macleod { 09.02.08 at 2:22 pm }

Hi all

I’m Laura Macleod. This is my first semester as a MET student and I’m looking forward to the program. I’m based in Toronto, where I work in educational publishing (textbooks for higher education, no comments about textbook prices please!).

My goal for the program – and certainly in this class – is to try and get a glimpse of where education is going. I doubt I’ll be retired in time to miss all the coming excitment so I figured it was time to roll up my sleeves and see what it’s all about.

Laura

3 nancy castonguay { 09.03.08 at 1:56 pm }

Hello all. My name is Nancy Castonguay and thus far I have completed only 2 courses as part of the MET program. I am buckled up and looking forward to completing the rest of it during the upcoming year… My cupboards are stocked with prime quality java and there is no looking back now!

I have been teaching a variety of courses for the Abbotsford School district, including face to face, via tele-conferencing, and online. My specialties are language and social studies.

In my spare time I love to travel and attend live jazz events… this year’s highlights for me has to be the Dave Brubeck concert and visiting Beijing.

I look forward to reading all of your comments and working with you all.

If you would like to put a face to the name, I have attached the best face I could find from my photo collection… 🙂

Best of luck to all.

4 David De Pieri { 09.03.08 at 10:14 pm }

Hi Folks,

The “Add Me” button isn’t working for me right now. Thought I would see what’s happens in this window.

cheers Dave D (another one)

5 Bruce Spencer { 09.07.08 at 3:34 pm }

Hi everyone.

My name is Bruce. I am a workplace Instructor with De Beers Canada. I’m originally from back east (Newfoundland) and I still maintain a home there (in St. John’s). I’m currently living in Yellowknife, NT and working at Snap Lake Mine which is a remote diamond mine 220 km northeast of Yellowknife. I work a two & two rotation or two weeks in then two weeks out, 12 hour days for 14 days straight. Phew. It can be exhausting at times.

My job involves, among other things, providing safety related training to employees (WHMIS, SHEOPS, etc.) computer related courses (basic computer skills, various software products, etc.) as well as educational training (basic literacy and numeracy skills, GED, ADLC, trades exam preparation, and so on.)

I have a B.A., B. Ed. from Memorial University and an IT Diploma from The Graduate Center (also in St. John’s). Most of my teaching/administrative experience has been in the public school system. Adult education is a relatively new adventure for me… and I must say I am enjoying it immensely.

ETEC 522 is my fourth MET course. I excited about the forum we’re using for this particular course and I am looking forward to exchanging ideas, stories and even a laugh or two with you all, over the course of the next several months.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in starting by the way. I recently moved into a condo prior to a trip back east. I don’t have internet service at the moment as it takes a while (welcome to the north) so I’ve having to rely on an internet café here in town. I should be up-and-running in a day or two (fingers crossed). See you then.

Cheers

Bruce
bruce5fiona@gmail.com