Hello from Zilong

Hi all,

My name is Zilong Zhai, I born in Shanghai and now lives in Richmond, BC. I am the administrative coordinator of CTCMA (College of traditional Chinese medicine practitioners and acupuncturists of BC), and take care of registration and exam development.

This is my last course in the MET program, but my first course within a weblog environment! From WebCT, BlackBoard Vista to Weblog, the MET program keeps developing, but is always for the only goal: To Improve the relationship between technology and learners. Compared to WebCT or BlackBoard Vista, I believe weblog can greatly facilitate the online discussion.

Though I am not an instructor or course designer, I always find a lot of chances to integrate learning theories and instructional technologies I learned in this program into my daily work, like mandatory safety courses, workshops or exam development. So I am eager to learn more in this attractive course. I look forward to working with you and wish you all the best.

Best regards,

Zilong

The photo is My wife and I in Boracay, Philippines

1 davidp { 09.02.08 at 10:22 pm }

Hello Zilong.

What an interesting and growing field in which you work. There was a wonderful TV piece on acupuncture that was featured during the recent Olympic Games telecasts.

Welcome to the blog version of ETEC 522. We’ve tried a number of different models for this course over the past few years, with this iteration being the most open and most lightweight in terms of access and tool use. You’ll have to tell us how it compares to other ETEC enviornments once we exercise this one fully over the next months.

d.

2 David Wees { 09.03.08 at 2:39 am }

The WebCT version is horrible just so you know. I live in Thailand often our internet connection is painfully slow (think 256kb max). So WebCT involves all these pop-ups every time you want to do an action (to read a post, and submit a response is 3 pop-ups).

So a link to a comment box seems like a dream to me. Not to mention the fact I’m using the very same system with my students and our class blogs.

3 davidp { 09.03.08 at 7:23 pm }

Ex. Yes the WP blog system with all of its various plugins can be configured by the truly talented to create a nice course structure that can help us build a really community-based learning environment.

If you see additional plugins we should be considering David, let us know.

d.

4 Jarrod Bell { 09.04.08 at 6:35 am }

Hi Zilong. One thing I really enjoy about the MET is that it is a varied group of people. Not only do traditional educators participate but I’ve seen people from government, commercial, military, health care, researchers etc. Really nice that we get diverse points of view.

Jarrod