Beware – Public Exposure

Just a small point of prudence for ETEC522 students in this weblog environment – please note that, as opposed to VISTA, etc, your contributions to this weblog environment are entirely public (they can be read by anyone on the Internet).

A first concern is simply how you state your email address (if you do – and its up to you) it can be read in this environment by spam crawlers that might want to become your best friend.  That’s why many of us are stating our email addresses in written forms.

A second concern might be both what you say and how you say it.  Our students are rarely prone to defamatory or libelous banter, but you might want to consider your contributions as though you’re part of a panel discussion at a conference.

Why so open?  This might be a point that the Open Source team addresses a few weeks from now.  The bottom line is that’s the way this technology works, and we wanted to experiment with it for this course. I just wanted you all to be aware of your exposure – something similar to the issue that many of your students aren’t aware of how public their Facebook pages are…

Please comment to this post if you’d like to discuss this issue further, or ask questions.

1 David Wees { 09.03.08 at 2:10 am }

There is a WordPress plugin which automatically turns all email addresses entered either in posts, comments, or as links into images instead. I don’t know how much access you have to the plugins for this blog, but that sounds pretty useful to me.

2 davidp { 09.03.08 at 10:47 am }

Cool idea, David.

We’ll investigate it.

d.

3 nancy castonguay { 09.03.08 at 2:02 pm }

Hi David, I am worried about giving out my email since it can be access by anyone. Should I be concerned?

4 davidp { 09.03.08 at 7:19 pm }

Hi Nancy. You can do as others have done and use combinations such as: dporter at bccampus dot ca to keep your email address from automated web crawlers. You can edit your initial post to suit this format, or omit it entirely.

5 D.B. { 09.05.08 at 11:22 pm }

Or, as Scot McNeally, of Sun Computer once said to journalists… “There is no privacy on the internet”

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/01/17538

Basic rules of etiquette and whatnot apply as always… say things, provide context and soundbites/snips are less likely to cause problems. 😉