Hello from Mark McVittie

Hello colleagues!

My name is Mark McVittie, and I teach in Kamloops, BC.  I teach secondary Math, but also have a block of Leadership and a block of Distributed Learning Support this school year.  We have, this past weekend, moved back into Kamloops city, but our home is in Sorrento – about an hour East of Kamloops.  Unfortunately, the price of gas made the commute a little too expensive, but I have a couple extra hours in my day right now!

I am currently taking this course, as well as ETEC 511 – as my 4th and 5th courses in MET.  This is the first time I’ve tackled two courses at once, so we’ll see how that goes…

My wife and I have two beautiful children – Robbie is 8, and Catie is 4.  My wife is not only returning to the classroom (Library actually) full-time, but is also contemplating starting her own masters program in January.

Anyway, nice to try something new with the Weblog, as my previous courses have all been in Vista.   I use Moodle in my class, and am enjoying that, but am considering moving to Google Apps mostly because of the significant delay in administrivia – our VP does not wish to share that ability with me, so I’m constantly waiting for him, and his schedule is a little busy…  I have some webspace, so perhaps will attempt to figure out how to set up my own Moodle server or something.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, Robbie and Catie in front of CP 2816 - Notch Hill, BC

1 davidp { 09.02.08 at 7:28 pm }

Hello Mark. Welcome to ETEC522.

The price of gas is a killer for sure. I just shed my beloved Land Rover for a Honda Element to get a little bit greener. DavidV cycles everywhere in Vancouver – so I’ve got a ways to go. But, we’re all doing our part with this course format, too.

Yes, I’m a big fan of lightweight tools of the type that teachers, instructors and faculty can administer for themselves. I believe it’s where the future of technology-mediated learning models will be going. Your thoughts about running your own Moodle instance is another plank in that platform.

d.

2 David Wees { 09.03.08 at 2:27 am }

Hey Mark,

You have to let me know how to find that train. My family and I will be moving back to BC in June and my son is a HUGE fan of trains (he’s 2).

Dave

3 cwickes { 09.03.08 at 3:04 pm }

Hi Mark,
What school are you and/or your wife at? I have a son in grade 9 at Sa-hali. He’s the yakky blonde one named Bryn – you’d probably know him by the first day if you do have him(!)
That’s rough to have to move from Sorrento for the jobs – sheesh!
Good luck to you both this year; jobs, courses, kids et al.
Cori

4 Jarrod Bell { 09.04.08 at 6:29 am }

Hi Mark! Good to see you again. Short course was great wasn’t it?

I did two courses last year in the fall and winter semester. I’ve decided to go to 1 and extend the program over an extra two semesters as the new job and some other responsibilities are demanding (and I don’t have kids!) It is manageable depending on the courses I guess as one semester was more manageable than the other although I enjoyed doing one in the summer session than two!

Jarrod

5 Mark McVittie { 09.08.08 at 8:30 pm }

Hello again,

Just a last note, as I’ve decided to drop 522. Just too much going on to tackle 2 courses.

Have fun with the new job Jarrod!! Expect we’ll see you around sometime…

Cori, my wife teaches at Sa-Hali (I used to). She just started there, but doesn’t recognize the name yet – good thing I guess.

David, the 2816 steam train is coming through BC near the end of September (Calgary to Vancouver, then return) – perhaps the last trip for some time.

Good luck to all!

Mark