Introduction – David Wees

Hi all,

Already made my first oops! and tried to do my introduction as a comment on someone else’s intro.  Hahaha.

Anyway, this course seems like it is going to be very exciting and a lot more practical than my previous two courses in the MET degree which were heavily entrenched in educational theory.

I’m a mathematics teacher, and have spent the last 6 years living and working abroad.  My first stay was in Brooklyn, NY where I taught inner city youth and learned all about classroom management.  I moved onto London, England where I taught in an international school.  I now work in Thailand in another international school called ‘Ruamrudee International School’.

My interests, outside of teaching mathematics, are in developing web applications and websites, bicycling to and from work (bit of a trick in London), and hanging out with my family.  I’m particularly interested in developing what are called modules for the Drupal web platform and playing around with fun Flash and JavaScript mini-applications.

My profile of work I’ve created so far is available to view at my blog.  It contains a collection of things I’ve played around with from a variety of different web programming languages and applications.

You can contact me at davidwees AT gmail DOT com.

Riding an Elephant in Chiang Mai

Riding an Elephant in Chiang Mai

1 Katherine Lithgow { 09.02.08 at 3:06 pm }

H David,
Your picture brought back memories. I had the opportunity to visit Thailand 10 years ago, ( I can’t believe it was that long ago!)
I remember putting way to much spice in my soup at the Chaing Mai market and swore I had suffered at least second degree burns on my lips!)

2 davidp { 09.02.08 at 4:05 pm }

Love the elephant top perspective, David. You’ve certainly had a varied set of experiences over the past number of years.

With your Drupal and Flash skills, you’ll be an asset to a moderation team for assignment 2.

3 David Wees { 09.03.08 at 6:10 am }

Yeah eating Thai food definitely takes a lot of courage. They eat some very weird things sometimes and use way too much spice quite often. I really like it though, I’ve been eating it for years, even before I came to Thailand.

4 Joe Dobson { 09.03.08 at 7:50 pm }

Nice photo – looks like the Maesa elephant camp. My wife, who hails from Chaing Mai, and I had a place down the road in Mae Rim in the CM burbs several years back. Beautiful part of the world …