Introduction – Drew Murphy

Hello to everyone!

I’m a secondary school teacher with over 20 years experience (wow, that sounds old!!).  And I’ve been involved with technology in some shape or form for most of that time.  I really enjoy exploring ways to make technology work in classrooms.  I find that now more than ever is such an interesting time to be an educator and to imagine new ways of learning and interacting through technology.

Specifically, I’m a technology/business teacher at Chatelech Secondary in Sechelt, BC.  I teach and manage an in-school online program called Planning 10 and Portfolio. In this program I’ve been experimenting with online teaching methods and applying a variety of 2.0 tools.  I’ve also had the opportunity to participate in designing the online learning system we use at our school.  Tons of fun!

When I’m not playing with technology, I’m coaching my son’s soccer team (or he’s coaching me about the latest Halo 3 developments), renovating something in the house, or reading books on teaching and technology.  Both my wife and I are teachers and so the conversation is often about school and tech stuff.  Actually, she’s looking forward to discussing this course with me.  Should be interesting???

I can be reached at dmurphy@sd46.bc.ca.  I’m looking forward to meeting everyone online.

1 davidp { 09.02.08 at 4:23 pm }

Welcome Drew.

With your experience in the tech end of schooling and instructional support, you’ll be able to bring a very savvy perspective to the notion of ventures as they (might) play out in schools contexts.

Tell us what your spouse thinks about the course, too.

d.

2 Jarrod Bell { 09.02.08 at 6:47 pm }

Hi Drew!