Introduction – Laura Macleod

Hi all

I’m Laura Macleod. This is my first semester as a MET student and I’m looking forward to the program. I’m based in Toronto, where I work in educational publishing (textbooks for higher education, no comments about textbook prices please!). I’ve spent my whole career to date in educational publishing – right now I’m in charge of lists in history, English, and sociology, although I’ve also worked on assorted other social science and humanities subjects over the years.

My goal for the program – and certainly in this class – is to try and get a glimpse of where education is going. I don’t think books are going away anytime soon, but I do think the landscape we all work in is shifting and I think there’s some amazing opportunities to marry technology and education. I doubt I’ll be retired in time to miss all the coming excitment so I figured it was time to roll up my sleeves and see what it’s all about.

The picture below is me and my family in NYC last summer. It’s surprising hard to find a picture of yourself when you’ve got kids and dogs!

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Laura

1 Introduction - Laura Macleod : insuranceslowprices { 09.02.08 at 3:30 pm }

[…] Original post by Laura Macleod […]

2 Introduction - Laura Macleod { 09.02.08 at 4:18 pm }

[…] Read the rest of this great post here […]

3 davidp { 09.02.08 at 4:20 pm }

Welcome Laura. Textbooks, eh?

This will be a fun course for you to explore educational futures and how those might work in the context of the publishing industry.

Here’s a link that was sent to me recently –>

http://www.maketextbooksaffordable.org/newsroom.asp?id2=44596

4 Jarrod Bell { 09.02.08 at 6:53 pm }

There is certainly room for books (affordable books, sorry was that a comment about textbook pricing? 😉 ) but I think it is important that we include physical libraries in our resource searching.

Welcome to the MET, it is a wonderful program!

JB