Introduction – Joe Dobson

Hi Everyone,

Seems like a great mix of folks in this course.  I teach ESL at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops.  I’ve been here for the past several years – initially I was teaching Japanese, but last year changed departments.  Previously I lived in Sapporo, Japan for a number of years.  I’m originally from Vancouver, so I haven’t ended up all that far away thus far.

I’m new to the MET program and am looking forward to being on the other side of the fence again.  The use of technology in language teaching has grown exponentially over the years and I’m interested in tapping into its potential uses much further.  I’ve been using Moodle and Wimba primarily – but not in any overly creative way.  I’m currently taking 511 along with this course.

Looking forward to the course and getting to know you all better.  My email address is jdobson (at) tru.ca.

Bests,
Joe

1 davidp { 09.03.08 at 10:46 am }

Thanks for your intro, Joe.

ESL and language teaching online continues to be a big interest area, but there seem to be very few successful ventures in this domain. It is wide open, like the field in which you stand in your photo, above.

Here’s your chance to try out a few venture ideas for your own domain of practice. Cool.

d.

2 Marc Kampschuur { 09.03.08 at 10:03 pm }

Hi Joe:

Perhaps a common interest here in using tech to teach about culture & language?

Cheers, Marc

3 Joey Dabell { 09.04.08 at 3:14 pm }

Hi Joe. Good to meet you.

Language teaching is a really interesting area. A few years back I worked on some instructional multimedia software for a BC First Nations group. Our instructional designers struggled quite a bit with cultural considerations. It is interesting how we can sometimes get stuck looking at things from our own point-of-view. Sounds like you’ve got some interesting cross-cultural experiences to share. Looking forward to your insights.

joey