Question???

I am new to this platform and one thing I am finding a bit of a challenge is deciphering what posts I have read and which ones I haven’t.  Sorry to make a comparison, but in Vista it highlights what is new to me and hence what I should pay attention to.  I do see that these posts are in sequential order.  Am I missing something here???  Any tips???

1 Melissa Anders { 09.04.08 at 10:53 am }

Hi Sarah,
I’m feeling the same way as you. With so many posts, it’s hard to remember where I’ve commented in order to go back and see if there have been responses to my comments that need responding back to. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep track or if there is any way to get notifications of responses. I wonder how this will affect discussions when we get deeper into the course.

2 davidp { 09.04.08 at 1:39 pm }

You’re right, Sarah and Melissa. But it may be a transient phenomenon.

The blog posts are sequential, not formally threaded as they were in Vista. This will take some personal management by you looking at post categories on the right side pane, and the tag cloud, for discussions that you want to follow.

See: http://blogs.ubc.ca/etec522/about for some additional hints on how to track postings and “discussions” in the blog space.

This may also sort itself out a bit as we get into more focused discussions in each module with a limited number of actual postings per module, not in the same volume as the number of personal introductions members are now making.

By Mod 4, moderation teams may seek to take us elsewhere in a web space to transact discussions, as as happened with many previous teams in other iterations of ETEC 522.

This course is truly dynamic and we’ve found that students will bend it (and us) to make it suit the needs of the whole.

d.

3 About this weblog’s performance issue, and another approach for keeping up — ETEC522: Ventures in Learning Technology { 09.04.08 at 3:01 pm }

[…] to Sarah’s question regarding how to track activity on this weblog… Speaking for myself, I would be lost without […]

4 Dwayne Ali { 09.05.08 at 8:21 am }

Yeah, at times it seems like a discussion board (phpbb ish) would work nicely…especially if integrated with the weblog.

But, the right-out-front images and text are awesome…

5 Marc Kampschuur { 09.11.08 at 12:21 am }

Can also set up a wiki (pbwiki). The edit screen tracks changes and even more flexibility than with discussion threads.