A question for David or David or anyone else

Hi everyone,

As the number of posts increase, so will the numbers of tags and replies. I see literally hundreds of bits of information that may not be relevant. Will this blog keep every ounce of information posted since day 1 or will you guys (David & David) attempt to purge the material you deem unnecessary ?

I realize this may be impossible and that some people may be offended… but really, do I need to know about the neighbour’s dog doing # 2 on your lawn? (an example, well… not really)

Tell me what you think.

Dave

1 davidp { 09.05.08 at 9:18 am }

We’re keeping it all, Dave.

It’s also a searchable archive for everyone in the course. Each of us is bound to find relevance in different places.

d.

2 JeffreyD { 09.05.08 at 1:53 pm }

Hi Dave,

My name is Jeff Miller, and I have worked with your instructors on the design of this weblog, so I thought I would respond, too, to your question. A weblog environment has quite a different structure to it than a course within a system like WebCT, and that gives us certain affordances and constraints. As has been pointed out in some previous posts, you have more options in terms of how you can read or subscribe to feeds of topics and comments on this weblog, but you are constrained from seeing everything gathered into the discussion areas like you do in WebCT.

You can, though, use the links that will grow on the right column to help you to get to information that is relevant to your interest and focus. We are asking students to use categories when they make new postings, and by doing this, you can easily click on Mod1: Introductions, or any other category that we’ve set, and see all of the relevant postings. You can also look for keywords and find postings across any number of categories that might relate to a topic you are interested in. What is interesting from a navigation perspective is that the tag cloud will track the activity and interest of the people using this site. Right now, the M1 tag looms large, but you will see things shift as the focus of the group shifts.

And as David indicates, you can do a search to bring up material. So you have multiple ways to navigate the postings/comments so as to focus in on the material you want to track.

Weblogs encourage knowledge building in ways that are quite interesting (from a constructivist perspective), but they also require us to relearn some of the ways in which we navigate and focus in on information that is meaningful to us.

Best,
Jeff

3 Vince { 09.06.08 at 9:25 am }

Please read http://blogs.ubc.ca/etec522/2008/09/04/performance-issue/ and make sure to read the comments! It may be useful to you or anyone else with similar questions…