Intrapreneur or Entrepreneur at heart?

As an Educational Venture Capitalist, I found it interesting how differently entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs pitched their proposals.  Both intrapreneurs (Michelle and Ted) are centralized figures in a very decentralized environment and that perhaps is their biggest challenge; they have to share their vision and gain acceptance of that vision with varied stakeholders.  As intrapreneurs, they have to prescribe a direction, yet be tuned into the changing needs of the users – not an easy task I assume!

I found the entrepreneurial pitches much more black and white – as an Educational Venture Capitalist, I would either give my money or not.  In Elsbach’s article, “How to Pitch a Brilliant Idea” she would have coined both Recombo’s and Ingenia’s spokespersons as “showrunners”.  Both came off as knowledgeable professionals that were passionate about their business. 

I found Ingenia’s pitch to be well thought out and researched.  I gasped when she suggested Vietman, but she seemed to anticipate the audiences reaction and have answers to some of the obvious concerns.  Their core strengh seemed to be their team and their ability to adapt.

I found the differences between the Recombo ’04 and Recombo ’05 pitches to be quite dramatic.  The company in ’04 had dreams, but not necessarily a “focused” vision.  I felt the company’s focus, on focus, was a reason for their continued growth. 

Where would I put my money?  Well, after all my ramblings, I might not be a black-and-white business person after all.  I guess it is no surprise that I put my Business Degree into my pocket and went into the softer side of teaching…

1 Jarrod Bell { 09.09.08 at 4:43 pm }

Sarah wrote, “I gasped when she suggested Vietman, but she seemed to anticipate the audiences reaction and have answers to some of the obvious concerns.”

I think that the pitch would be much less successful if Ingenia failed to anticipate the audience reaction and prepare some answers… I think the pitch could have been more aggressive around the first to the tape nature of the pitch.

I looked ingenia up http://www.ingenia-consulting.com/ and it looks more like doing research than anything else at first inspection.
JB

2 Carolann Fraenkel { 09.09.08 at 5:57 pm }

I too put my business degree in my pocket so to speak, its good to have company! It does still come out now and then though…

Carolann