Bruce’s Final Attempt at an Introduction

My daughter Fiona and I. Tenerife 2007

My daughter Fiona and I. Tenerife 2007

Hi everyone.

My name is Bruce. I am a workplace Instructor with De Beers Canada. I’m originally from back east (Newfoundland) and I still maintain a home there (in St. John’s). I’m currently living in Yellowknife, NT and working at Snap Lake Mine which is a remote diamond mine 220 km northeast of Yellowknife. I work a two & two rotation or two weeks in then two weeks out, 12 hour days for 14 days straight. Phew. It can be exhausting at times.

My job involves, among other things, providing safety related training to employees (WHMIS, SHEOPS, etc.) computer related courses (basic computer skills, various software products, etc.) as well as educational training (basic literacy and numeracy skills, GED, ADLC, trades exam preparation, and so on.)

I have a B.A., B. Ed. from Memorial University and an IT Diploma from The Graduate Center (also in St. John’s). Most of my teaching/administrative experience has been in the public school system. Adult education is a relatively new adventure for me… and I must say I am enjoying it immensely.

ETEC 522 is my fourth MET course. I excited about the forum we’re using for this particular course and I am looking forward to exchanging ideas, stories and even a laugh or two with you all, over the course of the next several months.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in starting by the way. I recently moved into a condo prior to a trip back east. I don’t have internet service at the moment as it takes a while (welcome to the north) so I’ve having to rely on an internet café here in town. I should be up-and-running in a day or two (fingers crossed). See you then.

Cheers

Bruce
bruce5fionaATgmailDOTcom

UPDATE

My intro was mistakingly posted under the Comments section of Dave Porter’s Intro over a week ago… sorry for the confusion.

1 Jarrod Bell { 09.14.08 at 2:58 pm }

Hi Bruce!

Our SD uses Akuter for training on WHMIS and safety orientation within the district. What are you using for a content/learning management software?

2 Bruce Spencer { 09.14.08 at 3:26 pm }

A software package called Learningworks (LMS) from a company Prospero from Ontario.

Their link is: http://www.prosperolearning.com/learningmanagement/lite.html

3 Gillian Gunderson { 09.14.08 at 7:05 pm }

Hey, Bruce.

It seems like it has been a long time since ETEC 511.

4 Bruce Spencer { 09.14.08 at 9:36 pm }

Hi Gillian

It’s been a year… my first MET course actually.

You’ll have a busy schedule with two courses this term… I’m contemplating doing the same after Christmas. I think the key is to try to stay ahead as much as possible. Let me know how things go.

Hang in there… 🙂